Leaving Ripples


Kristin’s post about “footprints” reminded me of a sobering reality. A reality most clearly seen in genealogies. Have you ever wondered why there are genealogies in the
Bible? Take Genesis for example: You have the creation in chapter 1, creation of man in chapter 2, the fall in chapter 3, the first murder in chapter 4, and Noah in chapter 6. All of these accounts are interesting. They may not all be “good news” or “happy stories” yet nevertheless they are very interesting. In the middle of all this exciting stuff is a genealogy in chapter 5, a list of names that lived, had kids and died.

So what is the point ofchapter 5? If we are honest most of us probably skip over this chapter all together when reading through Genesis and those who do read it, many times do so out of some legalistic guilt because, lets face it, it is difficult (and, if we are really honest, a bit boring)reading especially when it is sandwiched by such fascinating texts. But what is the point of this text? Why did God in all His infinite wisdom place such a text (and others) in Scripture that He knew we fleshly humans would struggle to even read let alone ponder and meditate on? My
desire in this post is not to answer that question in it's totality (plus, I do not think I could take on such a task anyway); but I do want to share one observation and thought in regards to genealogies.

Chapter 5 reminds me that we are all like a pebble. A small pebble like so many other pebbles found on the edge of a pond, that are tossed into the still water and then quickly sink into the mud below. In many ways the pebbles journey to the bottom of the pond is like our lives: very brief. James equates life to a “vapor” in
James 4:14. It seems that no sooner does the pebble pierce the surface of the water that it finds it's resting place on the bottom. Genesis 5 reminds us of this; so and so lived, had kids and died. This text is actually a great wake up call because we so often think that what we are doing (jobs, sports, hobbies, social justice, etc.) is what will leave a lasting legacy that people will remember. But ask yourself this: What did your great-grandfather do for a living? What kind of car did he own if he owned one? What was his favorite past time? Did he ever hit a hole in one? Was he ever the hero of the Friday night game? He had dreams and ambitions just like you – what were they? I ask these questions because I can’t answer any of them myself. All I know for sure about my great-grandfather is this: He lived, loved God, had kids (one of which was my grandmother) and died.

Here is my point: We so often think that our sinking to the bottom (the pebble illustration) is what people will remember but the reality is, it isn’t. Most of what we do by way of human accomplishment will be forgotten. But, like ever pebble, it does make ripples on the water's surface. Genesis 5 reminds us that the
“ripples” are not the “what’s” we leave behind but the “who's” we leave behind. When I am on the “bottom” sunk in mud (in other words, dead) will people really care that I liked the Red Sox, that I hit six 3 pointers in two minutes to win the game, rescued 32 victims from drowning, that my only “A” other than gym class in high school was speech class in college? NO!

What Genesis 5 reminds us of is this: the primary ripple we leave, the real legacy for most, is their kids. The mark you make on them is one that will last and live even beyond your own kids to you grandkids and great-grandkids, etc. So, Genesis 5, really does force us to ask this question of ourselves: Who is replacing you? What are they passionate about and who do they live for?

I am not saying that life has no meaning...what I am saying is that what we often feel will last long after we are dead (the great kingdom we built) simply doesn’t!!! I know very little about my great-grandpa (in the scheme of all that I am sure he did)....but I do know this: he loved Christ, had kids, raised them God’s way and, as a result, his legacy has deeply impacted me – she is called my grandmother and through her- my mother.

What kind of ripples are you leaving?

Comments

For His Glory said…
My sister and I were JUST talking about this on the phone the other day! Yes, what we are instilling in our children and how we are living our lives are being "read" by all around us...What are they reading!!?? What are our children reading? What will our grand-children reap as a result of God's grace in our own lives...Good thoughts to ponder especially about the fact that God put those geneoligies in His Word for a purpose.
Jen L said…
Awesome to hear from Bryan too! and awesome to see how God works in our hearts. Don and I were just talking abouth this last night. He spoke to the youth about the only things that will last are the things done for Christ. And we were talking about how many parents run their kids ragged to be great in sports, music and popularity. Not that all those things are bad, but what will it all matter in the long run. thanks for the post & encouragement.
AWESOME. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this! Great things to ponder... Great things to be reminded of.

Thanks, Bryan!