Managing my purpose...not my time


I received an email from a sister in Christ who, along with her hubby, adopted a little girl in Ethiopia when we were there. One of her sentences really stuck out to me and got me thinking. She said, "I have had to learn to manage my purpose for each day and not my time."

I had to read it a couple of times...it didn't make sense to me at first...but the more I thought about it, the more it struck my heart.

I love a schedule...and I truly believe that, especially with a house full of little ones, a schedule can just about be your best friend. But I would also say that it is very easy for me to almost become a slave to my schedule. I am not always quick to joyfully receive "God interruptions". I can get frustrated when things take longer than they should or when the kids are not to bed on time, etc...

That is why I am so thankful for Jena's words of wisdom. When I start to get frustrated or lack joy it is because I am fixed on time instead of on my purpose. My purpose it to live to the glory of God, to love my husband and be his faithful helper and encourager, to shepherd and train my children, and to manage and care for our home. THAT is my purpose. My concern should be for the souls and spiritual health of my family and, if that is getting done, that I should find great reason to rejoice, to welcome the interruptions as blessings from the Lord and, usually, more opportunities to be about "soul business".

If I focus on my purpose and not the time, I will be less concerned about getting the kids to bed on time and more concerned with having family devotions. I will be less concerned with finishing school in 4 hours and more concerned with having a cheerful disposition as I teach and encourage my kids. I will be less concerned about getting the kids down for rest and more concerned that their souls are at rest.

Now, believe me, I am not throwing away my schedule and I still plan on sticking as closely to it as possible....but I can also say that my heart got a needed adjustment and I am praying that the Lord would help me to be a gal that is known for living a life of purpose more than I am known for my scheduling ability!

Comments

Awesome! Thank you for sharing that! :0)
Anonymous said…
It's always about attitude, isn't it?

In other words, it isn't the schedule that is evil, it is our making it more important than it should be.

It is funny, I am so much more relaxed with my "second" family. I have a feeling number of kids will do that for you! :-)
For His Glory said…
I loved that quote...Another one I've been saying to myself lately is "People are more important"...It's been good when I start to get to rigid with my schedules...
Matt5verse6 said…
That is so funny! I just included "my purpose" in my post last night. I love it when God places similar things on the hearts of the body. :) I miss you guys and am so glad you are feeling better! ♥
crystal said…
Thank you for that post and I know for me I to can do the same thing and get frustrated as well but like someone else said "its the attitude of the heart" at least it is for me!