When Pigs Fly

...it's not very fun. Today we spent some time at the doctor's office and it is official, we have entered the world of swine flu. Micah and Bryan both have it and I it looks like Faith and Titus are in the beginning stages with a nasty cough. I could feel my body start to go "downhill" on the way home, so I worked with the girls on some soup and then found my way to the couch. It's not a very pretty sight here at the Pichura House and, from what we were told, we'll be at this for a full week before the contagious aspect is gone...and assuming no one else comes down with it.

Besides being sick, we have been preaching God's sovereignty to ourselves. My dear, precious sister, her husband and my two month old niece were flying up here to visit for a week while we were at the doctors. It is a visit that can't take place now. And, to top it all off, my parents came to visit for a couple of days last week and it looks like my mom is coming down with the same symptoms so they cannot go there either. We have all been in tears several times today...but we have also had the joy of encouraging each other with God's providence and sovereign hand even over this situation that is so contrary to what we would have planned.

The kids (and the rest of us) are getting to live, in a small way, Job 1:21, "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Please pray for us this coming week as we seek to glorify God even in the midst of illness. As I sit here, my dear daughter Grace is in the kitchen cleaning up and Samuel joined her for quite a while. I know that there will be lessons learned this week that are for our good...I just pray we don't miss them!

Comments

For His Glory said…
Oh Kristin, my dear friend!! I'm so just waiting for it to hit us too! Everyone I've talked to is getting it!! UGH! And your sis and mom oh, I know you must be sooooo sad and discouraged, I am for you. I know how much you were looking forward to their visit! Praying you will not lose heart this next week and that God's mercy and grace would be evident through this time in your sickness!! If I was up there, I'd be making you some soup and then I'd toss it on your front doorstep and run :) ...Love you~
Oh, I wish you lived closer so we could bring you all dinner. I'm so sorry you're all sick, and stuck at home, while you recover. You will all be in our prayers.
I am praying for all of you, Kristin.

In His love,
Marie Burns
Anonymous said…
I will be praying for your family! Being sick is not fun and having almost everyone sick is pretty bad!

I will pray for rest and quick relief. And, that God will use these circumstances to bring Himself glory and to draw your family closer together.
Know that many are praying for your family! Prayer chains at Faith and our LBS at 1st, as well as some dear sisters in Christ here at work.
Jen L said…
We'll be praying you don't get discouraged and that you all get better and the well ones stay well!
Matt5verse6 said…
OH NO!!! Darn that flu!!! To be honest I have heard such horror stories of the swine flu and will be praying fervently each day for your family! (P.S. I just posted on Job yesterday.)

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:6-7)

Therefore, count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

My heart is with you guys. ♥