Grace's Piano Recital


Yesterday was the big day. Grace was so excited all day and almost as nervous. The nerves really kicked in about 10 minutes before the recital began and my heart just broke for her as she sat next to me with tears running down her face, the whole time trying to act like she was fine. She was so precious.

We prayed with her in the car on the way there and I prayed with her while we sat waiting...but, in the end, I just had to pray FOR her. This was something she needed to do even though it was so hard for her and, in her own words, "I was shaking so bad I didn't think I could move". When she was done and had sat back down I could feel her heart pounding and she was just as close to tears as she was right before she went up...but, this time they were tears of relief and she was all smiles again!

Tonight I learned exactly what recitals are for...especially for the younger kids. They really have nothing to do with showcasing their "vast talent" as there really is none at that point.:)
It's all about teaching the kids to overcome their fears and learn to share the gift God has given them with others. It's a valuable lesson and I am so glad that Grace is learning it now and that, through tears, she still persevered and didn't give up!

We celebrated her recital with Grace's favorite dessert...brownies and cookie dough ice cream. Let's face it, after sitting through over an hour of watching a bunch of kids play piano and flute pieces...everyone deserved some ice cream!:)
Way to go, Gracie Girl! We can't wait to see all the ways in which God will use your hard work of learning to play the piano to continue to glorify Him and spread the Gospel to those around you!

Comments

Ruth said…
Grace I am sooooo proud of you!!! Your mom is right about recitals...they are to help you get used to "preforming" in front of people. That is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do...and YOU DID IT!! You should be very proud of yourself too.

You know Kristen that is why I try to have children pray out loud in Children's church every Sunday morning. I know way too many adults who are nervous about praying out loud in front of others. They get just as nervous as Grace did, before playing the piano.

Thanks for "pushing" her into this...because I also know how hard it was for you to watch her tense up and be scared. There is always the thought of whether we as parents should put our children through such "torture" or knowing if this really is the best for them. I remember being extremely upset with my parents for making me preform in recitals...but look at me now! :)
Ruth said…
ps...I could hear Mom's sigh of relief when you finished! You were great!!!
Oh Grace. Nanny sits here in tears ... not because she is nervous because she has to be in a recital, but for two reasons. 1. It breaks my heart that we are not able to be there to be with you for your recitals, to give you a hug and tell you how proud we are of you. 2. The second reason is that it was such a blessing to be able to hear you play! You did so well! Thank mommy for putting it on the blog for us!!! Keep practicing ... and use your ability for Him!!! We love you (AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU). Oh, hope that ice cream was yummy ;-) Love you, Nanny
Anonymous said…
Ha! I loved your comment about everyone deserving ice cream after the recital. :-)

That really is good for kids to learn to do things in front of people. When she is older she will feel comfortable playing for church or other groups.

Missed you! :-)
Michelle P said…
Way to go Grace!! We are So proud of you! :)
ps. Kristin, does this mean we get brownies and ice cream for listening to the recital too? ;)
For His Glory said…
She did really great! You couldn't even tell she was nervous! K's new teacher is adament about recitals, and getting the kids to face the fears and overcome them...I'm excited she is making the kids do what's "uncomfortable"...