Only One Thing Is Necessary


"But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42

The blog, Girltalk, has been taking a look at this passage the last week and I have also been reminded of it as Martha and Mary's names keep coming up in my reading in the book of John. It's a reminder that I have needed. Life is busy...and right now my life seems a little bit busier than I can keep up with. We are so excited to be leaving for New York this week to visit all of Bryan's family. We have not been back in over 5 years and are so thankful for this amazing opportunity to spend time together, for the cousins to get to know each other, for everyone to meet Samuel and Caleb and just for the blessing of being able to make some sweet memories together!

Right now, though, I am still in the midst of packing, organizing, and trying to get everything together for our trip. It's a little bit daunting and, as a result, my normal routine of doing things has taken a bit of a backseat. There is nothing wrong with that...except when the ONE THING THAT IS NECESSARY takes a backseat too! Over the years I have truly developed a habit of being in God's Word everyday but somehow I still manage to forget it's UTMOST importance in my day. I forget that it was Jesus Himself Who said that it was/is the ONE THING that is necessary. Sadly, there are times when being in the Word of God IS little more than a habit and a discipline and I forget that God's Words are the Words of life. I find myself "sitting" at the Lord's feet, as Mary did...but, unlike her, I am not really listening...not clinging to His words the way that I should.

Our life is to be lived to glorify the Lord and the Lord has clearly spoken that there is one thing that is necessary for doing that...may we be children who see the importance, the priority and the blessing of obeying the Lord and daily sitting at His feet, listening to the One Who's words give life because He gave up HIS life!

"I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my whole being rejoices." Psalm 16:8-9

Comments

For His Glory said…
Yes One thing is necessary! But how my flesh believes so many other things are MORE necessary! Glad you shared, I needed the reminder :)