Tid Bits and Big Bits

There have been a few things that have happened that I have just not blogged about and I thought today was as good of a day as any to let you into some of the laughter and sights that go on in the Pichura House...and some of the special joys too!

It has been getting pretty cold out lately and so the rule is pretty simple...if you want to go outside, you had better have a coat on. Although the rule may be simple, the implementation of that rule is not always as simple...especially in the case of Caleb. I looked outside my bedroom window when I was in there putting something away and I couldn't help but bust up laughing as I watched Caleb run around the yard. This is how I saw him:

He and Samuel had me giggling and then amazed all in the matter of a few seconds yesterday. We were all in the car and I noticed Caleb was pretty quiet so I said, "Hey Caleb, are you okay?". He replied, "Your okay", instead of saying "I'm okay" and that got me giggling. It wasn't but a moment, though, and my mouth dropped open when I heard Samuel say, "No, Caleb. It's not "your okay" it's "I'm okay""!!!! How's that for learning English? And speaking of learning English. I was encouraged today to see just how comfortable Samuel is when it comes to speaking English. In the past during Bible time when we have gone around the table to pray he has done so very hesitantly and not very willingly. This morning at breakfast, though, he asked if he could pray at lunchtime! Of course, I said yes and was delighted to hear the following as we bowed our head to say thanks for our lunch: "Dear Jesus, Thank you for this lunch. Thank you for school. Help no be rude, no cry, no unkind help Jesus. Thank you for this food. In Jesus name, Amen"! It's more precious than words can express!!!

It blows my mind to think that the boys have been in our home for 3 1/2 months! Where does the time go? I can honestly say, it feels wonderful and normal and right and comfortable and genuine and amazing...and it has taken time to be able to use all of those words!!! Don't get me wrong, there are 8 sinners living in this house, there are 8 people who want their own way WAY more often then we should, there are 8 people who are moment by moment have to make the CHOICE to love and to self-sacrificially serve one another and there are 8 people who fail at making God glorifying choices all the time. But we live under grace, we forgive as we are forgiven and we all have the best example you could ever have...the Lord Jesus Christ!

The kids have all come so far...especially my sons. Titus was lost for a while...his place as "the baby" was replaced and it has taken him these past 3 months to fully grasp that HE was not replaced but is loved just as much as ever. And, in turn, we have seen him RETURN to our little hugger, our sweet encourager and our smiley guy. There is not a couple hours that go by without a hug and words of love from my little man and, as I tell him often, my heart is blessed by his little life! Caleb and Titus have become the dearest of friends and their giggles echo throughout our house all morning long while the older kids school. They play together wonderfully...football, hockey, coloring, playdough....they really do love being together.
Samuel truly did put a "kink" into Micah's "ordered" life. Micah was the "top dog". Rarely was he challenged or was there any type of real competition. Titus was more than willing to follow along with whatever Micah said without questioning a thing or having ideas of his own. Samuel changed all that and Micah's heart was constantly tested. I'll be very honest, it has been hard for him and hard for us trying to shepherd his heart. Many times there has been nothing left to say except encouraging him to pray that the Lord would change His heart. He knew what he should be doing, he just couldn't do it. I am not sure exactly where Micah is at in regards to salvation...but I do know that the Lord has used our adoption to show Micah that he can do nothing good apart from Christ, that our situations reveal what is in our heart...they do not cause us to sin, that God's strength is perfected in our weakness and that God truly is opposed (an enemy) to the proud but He gives great grace to the humble.
These last few weeks we have seen sprouts of life in their relationship that are growing bigger and bigger and bearing sweet fruit. There is sorrow over sin, there are smiles exchanged that are real and from the heart and just precious to see, there is a real desire to listen to Samuel and enter into the world that he lived in in Ethiopia and understand what life was like and how that affects his life now. Just tonight, they spent 1/2 hour together...Micah was teaching Samuel to play a simple song on the guitar. HUGE!!!! Samuel wants to be like Micah and Micah is starting to see that, understand the weight of it and respond in joy instead of irritation. The steps are small...but they are steps and they are beautiful to watch!

Grace and Faith continue to grow into little ladies. Faith LOVES to read and has just finished a 10 book series and is ready for more! She has really enjoyed the books on missionaries that we are reading at lunch and has declared that she wants to be a missionary one day. She also loves watching the Duggar Family on TV (yep...the family with the 18 kids...we record it and then watch it together...it's GREAT!:)). Last week she asked me if we were going to adopt any more kids because she thinks we should have 12 kids in our family. 18 is too much, she said, but 12 is a good number!:) I think she is going to have to take that one up with her Daddy!

Grace is still all about babies ( I keep wondering and praying if the Lord just might not use her desire to bless and help us one day if the Lord allows us to adopt again!). She wants to grow up and have "lots of babies" as she puts it! She is playing the piano and doing so well. Finally feeling more and more confident...which is a very good thing as she has her first recital this Saturday night and is SO excited about it! She just got a piano book full of Christmas songs from her teacher and she and Micah are working hard so they can play and we can sing together as a family!

When I look at our life as a family, I can't help but think of that brand of clothing called "Life is Good" and want a shirt for each of us that says just that. Because it is, it really is!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."
Psalm 34:8

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh Kristin, thatnk you so much for sharing youer heart and your family! I can so relate to Micha's struggles. My big boy struggles so with making good choices these days. I thank you that your post has reminded me of a new way to pray. They are so not ours! He WILL be glorified through HIS children. May the blessings continue to rain down on you all! ~Leslee
Ruth said…
Oh Kristin, thanks for sharing all the growth that is going on in the Pichura family! I feel so bad that we still haven't gotten together for a music & craft lesson...but one of these days... :p
I love to see the faces of your children too...they reflect the Joy of Jesus and the comfort they have as being Bryan and your children.
You are doing an awesome job of parenting and I will continue to pray for you all as you grow, not only physically but also spiritually!
Love you!
Ruth
Matt5verse6 said…
Rejoicing with you!!! ♥
5 Cougs said…
You make me want to be part of your family! Can you adopt me? :) So glad that life is adjust and strong bonds are being formed. God is good!
For His Glory said…
How funny! K's first piano recital ever is this Saturday too!!! Ha! I loved reading how God is working in the children, isn't it precious to watch as they are trained up and taught how to control those decietful feelings and learn to see things through Christ's eyes!!??
crystal said…
Kristin I so love hearing what the Lord is doing in each one of your children Iam blessed that you are willing to share as well.Your children are so beautiful and presious and I love seeing all the pictures of each one of them.