Deck the Halls with Strep Throat!

Yep...that would be me! After we got back from Christmas caroling on Christmas it was downhill from there. I can usually function fairly well even when I do not feel my best...but I was on the couch more than I was off. At my mom's encouragement, I drove down the the ER yesterday (yep...same place I went when I had my appendix removed!) waited a couple of hours, got a culture done and was informed that I did indeed have strep throat. It's a miserable sickness, but also a blessing because, once you get the antibiotic in you, you start to feel better in 24 hours. So, I am hoping by this evening to feel more like myself and praying that no one else in our family comes down with it!

It was a blessing to go to the nursing homes on Christmas...to see the tears in the eyes of a navy veteran (32 years in the navy), the lips of Alzheimer's patients moving in unison with ours as we sang familiar carols and the heartfelt thanks of one woman who rocked back and forth as she sang with us and told me that she loves to praise Jesus.


We also made gyros (yep...the Greek kind!) for dinner. It's a yummy mixture of lamb, beef, onion, garlic and a few other seasonings. You lay it on a pita, add a lot of yummy Tzatziki sauce ( made with yogurt, cucumbers and seasonings...we picked that up at a little Greek store on our way over to Hood River)and maybe a few cucumbers and onions and you have an amazing treat! It was our fist attempt making the meat ourselves...but I know it won't be our last! Sick and all, it was SO good! As we were getting ready to eat, Bryan made an observation. The lamb we were about to eat was a neat reminder of the LAMB of God...Jesus...Who's birthday we were celebrating! I think, one way or another, lamb will be apart of our Christmas celebration from now on.

Paul also joined the group on Saturday and we are looking forward to David and Michelle arriving late tonight after their church's evening service!


Oh...and I just had to throw this picture in for fun! This is what happened when Grace was playing with my hair and had a lot of hairbands right next to her! :)

Comments

I hope your feeling better. And that is great that all of you went to a nursing home to sing on Christmas Day.
Anonymous said…
I will be praying for a quick recovery!

I have a hair picture very similar to that! :-)

I love how you decided to spend your Christmas day. Great idea.
Nice doo! Oh, hope you're feeling better!
For His Glory said…
You guys and STrep! WOw, thankfully your Christmas wasn't on Christmas this year! Nice job on Mom's hair Grace! Hope you are feeling a lot better today!
Totally cute picture of you with your hair all done up!!

Thanks for sharing all your family Christmas fun w/ us!! I hope you are fully recovered by now, too!

And man... You guys have been making some good-looking meals! Even as I sit here with morning sickness/nausea, your gyros still made my mouth water, and the Ethiopian food really did look delicious, too. God bless your sweet Dad for "streching" himself to a plate!! And how special for Samuel and Caleb to have enjoyed those dishes at Christmas. The looks on their faces says it all!
Loved the pictures... :0)
I am playing catchup on your blog and just think the picture of you with your crazy hair is adorable!! :) That will be something you look back on and will love remembering how your daughter used to play with your hair!

I'm also trying not to cry as I catch up... I greatly enjoyed my first Johnson Christmas and all the new memories and celebrating Jesus' birthday with them, but I missed making new memories with you guys! :) Not sad about missing the possibility of strep though...I'm so sorry you were sick, but glad you are feeling better!

Love you!