Packing time!


Does that picture speak volumes or what?:)

When I saw the rig pulling the trailer up to our house my heart did a little "thump". That is OUR container...and ALL of our stuff has to be in it by Monday night!

It has been a whirlwind the last few days and that feeling of having a million things to do will probably not go away until the container is gone...then we will be "camping" in an empty house twiddling our thumbs for 4 days!:)

Moving is not the easiest with 6 kids...moving to CANADA is proving that much more challenging! Here are some examples of why:

1)We cannot take any used mattress into Canada unless it has been cleaned and fumigated and we have an "official" letter to prove it. Who would have thought bed bugs might follow us into Canada! :)

2)We have to have proof that Tessi has had a rabbi's shot in the last 3 years and we have to have a letter with that proof stating what she looks like. :) Tomorrow, I am off to try to find the vet we took her too... I can't find the paperwork or the name of the vet we went to!:)

3)In order to take our vehicles across the border (to live there) we have to get pre-approved permission. That has meant filling out worksheets, getting titles and a letter from our lienholder (on the Suburban) giving us permission to take the vehicle out of the country, scanning everything and then emailing it to the export division on the border. I just got that done...so praying for a favorable outcome!:)

4)Car insurance in Canada is enough to make you feel sick....and, I found out the day we left Canada, that, without proof that we are 8 years "claim free" our insurance could be to the tune of $6,500!!!! After a LONG time on the phone I was able to track down our last 3 car insurance companies and I have confirmed 7 years 11 months of claim free driving. I guess we'll have to bite the bullet on the other month!:) Still, our insurance will be to the tune of $3,500 for the year...almost quadruple what we are paying now! Apparently, we are spoiled here in America with car insurance choices and much lower premiums!

Then there is the packing....we have had to "go nuts" once we found out the container would need to arrive much earlier than we had thought in order for us to have it delivered to our new place in Canada on the 2nd of February. A dear friend came over and helped me tackle picture frames and the kitchen today and what a blessing that was! Both of the kids rooms also got packed today...but if you looked at Bryan's and my room you would think we just threw everything in there! :) That is my big project for tomorrow morning while Bryan starts loading the truck.

Sunday, the title of the message Pastor Rob preached was "Prayer: A Supernatural Response to Trouble" (from the text in James 5:13-18). I am so thankful for his encouragement from the Word and so many of the things he shared have echoed over and over in my mind these last few days. Praying to my Lord should be the first thing I always do in response to Who God is and what God is doing. Prayer must come first...showing my dependence on God and my need for His help in every situation must be my primary response. EVERYTHING else should be secondary.

Yet, I find myself so quick, when a trial/trouble arises (and there have been PLENTY of them this week!) to immediately start strategizing and start growing fearful if my plan does not seem to help the situation. God's will for me is that I "rejoice always, pray without ceasing and in everything give thanks." I am so thankful for the message preached and how God has used it in my life this week to turn me towards Him first and foremost. And, because I am learning to go to Him first...I can already tell you the sweet blessing that has been mine in being given a peaceful heart and seeing HIM work out situation after situation...instead of seeing myself as the one who "pulled it off".

I can only hope I am making sense...my husband says I keep repeating myself today and saying weird things...hopefully I have had a moment of clarity in this blog post!:)

Thanks for your prayers and your emails of encouragement. Forgive me for being slow to reply (or maybe not even replying at all)...the time is just not there at the moment...but know that you have encouraged my heart and I am so thankful knowing you are praying. I wish I had time to list out all the little details that God has continued to beautifully take care of when, any one of them, could have kept us from entering Canada on the 1st!

I will try to keep you posted as I can but know that we are doing well, by the grace of God, and that we are as busy as bees and rejoicing in the reason for being so busy!

Isaiah 42:8 says, "I am the Lord; that is My name; My glory I give to no other" and we continue to pray that we behold the Lord in all His glory (even in this really crazy time) and that we give HIM all the praise and glory in this move!

Comments

Kimiko said…
I can't believe how fast everything seems to be happening. We'll definitely be praying for and thinking of you often this week. Also, thanks for the comments on going to God first in every situation - a reminder I really needed about now!

Oh, and I couldn't help but chuckle about Tessie's "rabbi" shot. :)
Anonymous said…
All that paperwork must be deja vu!
(adoption)

LOVED what you had to say about prayer and trusting God. Been preaching that to myself lately!

Hang in there! I am praying along with you.
All I can say is WoW...thank you for sharing the details so I know how to pray. "the precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
enlightening the eyes;" Ps. 19:8
Ruth said…
Oh Kristin, My heart goes out to you! You are a "Martha" and you need to be able to "control" things. But I think it is awesome how God shows us that HE is ALWAYS in control!!! :D (I'm the exact same way!)

I remember as a kid the moves we had to make...we never left the country to live but moving to Port Huron, MI (across the border from Saginaw) we had many trips back and forth.

I also remember those times as great times of "weeding." We always had to get rid of something--either practical or special--but it seemed like God always provided something better or greater to replace our loss. :D

Your children are going to remember this move...and someday, when they are older, they are going to be grateful for the knowledge of KNOWING that God will always provide for them and LEAD them in His ways. What a joy for them to see at this age just how God works in our lives.

Now, take a deep breath, and ask God to continue to show you what needs to be done by you and He will take care of the rest!

I love you and am going to miss your family very, very much! (I already have felt the loss!)

Call me if you need help this weekend!!!!
Ruth
Four days in an empty house with 6 children. No TV, no Wii, basically nothing. I am sure this will be a time of much "family time" ... prayerfully blessed family time. I will be praying. And, may the weather be nice so you can make use of the park and outdoor activity ... I'll be praying that, too.