Who are you following?


"Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ."
I Corinthians 11:1


A friend was sharing with me last night (through email) something that Charles Spurgeon had said and I loved the truth and weight of it: "Every word in the Bible is inhabited by the Spirit and is powerful." Every word! And that includes the words in 1 Cor. 11:1 where God encourages us to follow Paul as he follows Christ. Paul exhorts Timothy to set an example for the believers in 1 Timothy 4:12. God knows the blessing that it is to have examples to look to as we seek to be like Christ! In fact, we are encouraged to follow godly examples.

That is part of the beauty of discipleship...there is always someone who knows more than you and you can look up to and learn from as a godly example and there are others who know less than you and that look up to YOU as a godly example...and, when the focus is Christ, beautiful discipleship can take place from that. Okay...that was a rabbit trail...back to why I shared the verse!:)

The Lord has given me a "Paul" in this season of life called moving. Her name is Dorothy and she is a mother to 11 children (most of whom are adopted...with the most recent adoption being that of a newborn baby a couple of days before Christmas!). She also happens to be MOVING right now from MN (and Bethlehem Baptist...yep, home of beloved John Piper) to Colorado where her husband is beginning a new teaching position. I have had her blog address on my blog for a long time under "Blogs that Bless" and her blog has been a special encouragement to me this past month as her attitude and example in the midst of packing, moving and a brand new baby has blessed my heart greatly.

I am so thankful for examples...for Titus 2 men and women. And that thankfulness spills over into a passion to BE an example. To live a life that loves Jesus more than anything else and encourage others to love Him too! I am so thankful for God's plan, for the ultimate example in Jesus Christ and for the example of so many who have gone before me or who are apart of my life right now that testify that God is enough and that live out Psalm 16:11b:

"In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."

Comments

Michelle Hamm said…
We are praying for you and we are excited to have you here. When will that be?
For His Glory said…
I think it's really precious when God brings people into our lives for seasons in our walks...It's amazing how God works and how if we aren't willing to step up and disciple, God will simply bring another person to fill in the gap...We are the ones who miss out on the blessing of watching God work in an individual...And then when we walk away from that season we look back and see what beautiful transformation has resulted in only what God can do, not what we did (as if we could take any glory for what God does), this is when He is glorified! We can only be good disciples or be discipled ourselves when we do not think more highly of ourselves then we ought to and to remember that it is only by God's grace we are who we are and know what we know...
Ruth said…
It just seems so "surreal" to see you leave...but what a joy to know that if we only communicate through blogs and emails, we will still see each other again, someday! You know you ALWAYS have a place to stay if you ever get back our way!
I love you all and can't tell you how much I'm going to miss you!!!
Thanks for the time today! You are a dear Godly women, wife, mother, daughter, and friend!
Anonymous said…
I have been following Dorothy's move as well. It makes me tired just thinking about it! :-) And, if I am honest, a little envious as well. I have always had a bit of gypsy in my soul.

I can sure see how she would be an encouragement and I am thankful that God gave that gift to you. Sometimes I am not sure what I think about relationships online, but then I think what an amazing way we have to be connected to people in similar circumstances who are not anywhere near us physically. All things for God's glory!
Hey Michelle!!!

It was fun to see you comment! Hard to believe we will be there in a couple of days!

Can't wait!!!!! :)