He....felt compassion for them


I have a feeling I am not alone...but, I can only speak for myself when I say that I have had my share of moments where I just want to get away!:) Not for weeks or days or (most of the time) even hours...many times I just want enough time to drink my coffee while it is still hot instead of reheating it 50 times in the microwave and then finally throwing out the rest of the cup at lunch time!:)

I love my family dearly...but they can be demanding. It's really not their fault...it's not like they can teach themselves, right?! And, they get so excited about so many things and always want to share it with mom not to mention that there seems to be plenty of "arguments" that need my assistance. Let's face it...I could keep going on and on...it's called life with kids!:) It is a wonderful life...but it is not a quiet life and it leaves little time for "me". I say "me" in quotes because my life is truly so blessed...it just doesn't always go my way!:)

Now, before I go further, let me state this loud and clear...I am a firm believer in a mom getting time out by herself! I love nothing better than to hit a coffee shop with the Word of God, my planner, an Ipod and a good book...or to spend an afternoon "browsing" at the store...a word that is NOT in the vocabulary of a mom pushing a shopping cart with six kids attached to it!:) If I need that type of time, all I need to do is ask, and my hubby is more than willing to give that to me!

I am talking about the day in day out activities of life that are rarely centered around me and, in my flesh, can leave me feeling sorry for myself, feeling frustrated and, to be honest, a bit irritable! Sadly, I often feel justified with my feelings, and feel as though I "deserve" a break.

I was humbled and encouraged, once again, by the example of my precious Savior. In Mathew 14:13 we read that Jesus had just found out that John the Baptist was murdered and that he "withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself". Talk about a situation that would warrant some alone time! It would have made complete sense to me if the chapter ended there or a new story began...but what makes this passage so amazing is that it doesn't...it goes on to share something that pierces my heart and awakes in me a passion to be more like Jesus.

You see, the crowds heard where Jesus had gone and they proceeded to follow Him and find Him. Jesus tells them to please go away, He needs some time alone; He tells them that He is having a tough day and they needed to find something else to do; He tells them He is tired and He can't deal with their needs today. NOPE, not my Jesus! Verse 14 says that He felt COMPASSION for them and HEALED their sick. And, as if that were not enough, when evening came He then performed one of the most amazing miracles recorded...He fed all 5,000 men (plus women and children) dinner.

I am left speechless and amazed. I am left humbled at my sin and how quick I am to justify it. I am left thankful...thankful for the precious example of my Redeemer so that I can be renewed, rebuked and exhorted to live that out, on a small scale, with my own family. And I am left rejoicing...that the same perfect power that enabled Jesus to be "the Servant of all" lives in me through the Holy Spirit!

I may not finish my coffee tomorrow without reheating it 50 times and I just might have to deal with more arguments or questions or who knows what else, way more than I would like...but I am not my own...I have been bought with a price. It's not about "my agenda" it's about GOD'S AGENDA and He has called me to keep my eyes fixed on Him and to be Gospel centered, God glorifying gal and there doesn't have to be any "me" in order to do all that! And that truth brings great hope and joy as I get ready for a new day to dawn!

"This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul,"Therefore I have hope in Him."
Lamentations 3:21-24

Comments

Thanks Kristin

Your dear old dad is having one of those weeks. Too much too do, and too little time to do it (and all good stuff). Your reminder was an encouragement to me to keep my focus on the Lord and His example to us.
Ruth said…
Thanks for sharing your feelings and scripture today! I had one of these hard days at work (170 children throughout the day!)yesterday. I came home extremely tired and exhausted...and questioning if this truly is where I should be working.

Work has been extremely difficult this year...adding the older students has changed the dynamics of our school. Some times for the better, but more often completely opposite! My patience has truly been stretched!!!

So as I head to work this morning, I'm going to lean on those verses!

Oh yeah, I also had to smile as I remember that on more than one occasion, I would turn to Rick and say. "I just need to run away! I don't WANT to be the adult anymore!" :) I believe it was said about the age your children are...so once again thanks for the post! :) Love you!
Jen L said…
Thanks for the great encouragement as a mother!
Thanks for sharing that, Kristin! You know... I, too, have read the story of the crowds following Jesus at that time---when He was seeking to get away for some quiet time---and I have immediately related it to my daily life as a mother, and I've been convicted, because I know that would so NOT be my response in my flesh!

How could He do that??--I have often wondered. It's so not what I would feel like doing,and all too often, it's so not what I end up doing! What an example Scripture leaves us with... And I'm SO thankful for the Holy Spirit's transforming power that works within us to help us to become more like Jesus. :0) ('Cause Lord knows I need that kind of help!!)
For His Glory said…
Thank you for the timely manner of this post God! Yes, I so often feel like "UGH" I just want a stinking moment to BREATHE...Nice sinful attitude...So yes, Rememebering and meditating on this Jesus of mine and his example to the crowds is so refreshing to me!
Unknown said…
ehem, should I mention now or later about the time I spent hiding in my closet this afternoon as one child after another went walking through the house calling me name? I wasn't coming out, now way, I just wanted a few minutes for ME :)
Thank you for sharing your heart and the words and actions of Jesus which always serve to properly convict me.
That is the second time this hour that that Lamentations verse has come before me - hmmmmm.
Paul said…
Love ya sis! I'm so glad you shared what you did about wanting "me" time. As selfish as that seems to come across, as you said, even Jesus got away with His Father. So, I see it as ultimate priority that you can't lead your kids until you are first being led by your Father :-) I will pray that God would show you how you can REST in Him so that you can get back in the "game" so to speak with your kids. Jesus consistently rested and got away, not to run away, but for re-energizing Himself for the hard task of ministry. I will pray God re-energizes you for your ministry to your children. This is so important. Love ya dearly! oh, Mark Driscoll JUST preached on this (how to get away, or why it's so important) last week on the calling of Peter, James and John.