Home:Both Old and New


I was trying to think of some witty way to start this post to no avail...and then one of the elders and his wife stopped by and the card they gave us was the perfect way to start...

"Home is where your story begins and your heart lives"

In some ways so many things feel new and in other ways so many things seem the same. It's true...there is a new chapter that has been started in the story of our lives (a chapter that I pray is the longest chapter ever and goes right to the end of the book!:))....a new house, new church family, new funny looking money :), new stores, new playgrounds, new friends, etc. But this is also the place we call home now and home is where my heart is...seeking to be a godly wife and mommy and to encourage others to love their home (not necessarily house!) that God has given them...and that is not new for me...that is something I am very passionate about and very comfortable in...though FAR from perfect in any way!!!

And, no matter where we go or how things change, God's Word remains the same and His truths transcend location or situation. He is constant in a world of change and that is such a precious reality! Last night I was thinking about Psalm 16:8-9 which says, "I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad and my whole being rejoices!", and felt joy welling up in my own heart knowing that we can live unshaken each and every day when our eyes are fixed on Christ. What got me thinking about Psalm 16 was a book I am reading for one of the Bible Studies at our church, "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges...more to come on that in the future...but you know a book is good when you start to underline the things that really stick out to you and then realize you might as well just underline the whole book!:)

Okay...so back to what has been "new" and what feels familiar this week. We are back to home schooling...which means back to some serious sanctification for mom!:) We started homeschooling a few years ago for various reasons...but the one that has come to the forefront was never a reason... that it would grow me and stretch me like crazy and show me just how sinful I really was and am and how much I need to be fully dependent on the Lord!!!:) Homeschooling doesn't come naturally, I can tell you that much!:)

As far as new goes...we walked to the park/baseball fields that are just a couple of blocks from our house yesterday and we loved the "new" view! We also got a table and chair set for our kitchen on Craiglist last night for a song and a dance!:)We have officially had our first cup of Tim Horton's coffee...they make a very yummy mocha! And I have hung up a new white board in our hallway that I hope creates a bit of extra order.

This post is already ridiculously long so I might as well make it a bit longer and tell you about my new "idea"!:) I don't know about you...but I can honestly say that it drives me NUTS having six children constantly asking me what we are going to do next?, where are we going to go?, who's coming over? Not to mention the questions about food and what we are going to have for dinner. Then there is the daily reality of keeping the house picked up...except I have 6 children who seem to think it was some "other" 6 children who actually made the mess!!! In comes my new white board. :)

The picture may not be very helpful but, basically, the board is an information station for my kids. They can find out what day it is:), if we have any plans to have people over or to go out, what we are having for dinner and then there is their names with a list of daily
"touch-up" type chores that will rotate each day amongst themselves. We are only on day two, but I think I just may be on to something.:) Actually, you are probably all laughing at me because you have had something like this in place for a while...I am just finally catching on!:)

When I think about the word "new" though, the greatest joy is an unfading one:

"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17

Comments

Ruth said…
Love the view!!! :)

I used to have a chart...let me know how long it keeps working for you all!
My only question is, "Where is Bryan's name?"

Waiting to see the inside pictures of your home.
Michelle P said…
So glad you found a table/chair set! You'll have to post a pic of your great deal! :)
Your Home!!! I love what you said about a long chapter...And the board is a great idea...it's such a blessing to see what the Lord is doing :)
Anonymous said…
I like your list. Good idea. I keep thinking I need to do something like that just to remind the kids of activities they can do as well as chores. You know when they come and ask you what they can do - that isn't wii? :-)

Trusting God is one of my favorite books I have ever read. I love Jerry Bridges! Enjoy that study.

I think Craigslist is the best invention ever.
For His Glory said…
What happened to your od table set !!?? You couldn't take it?? That table was the BOMB!!
I'm behind you, sister, in the white-board organizational thing! New idea to me!!~So thanks for sharing! Hope I can remember to use that one when my girls are old enough to read! :0)

Beautiful pics!! Naturally, i've been seeing a lot of Vancouver on TV lately because of the upcoming Olympics. What a BEAUTIFUL area the Lord has moved you to!!! We sure miss you guys, but like you, I also hope this can be your "earthly home" for a very long, long time!!
No...you'll see in the pictures I post today that we have that table too!:) Remember when we went and got it?