A little "funny" to go with the serious


Okay...I'll make you laugh first.

Faith came to me today during their "rest time", asking me what a word meant that she kept reading over and over in the Bible...she tried to spell it to me and I wasn't picking up on the spelling so I asked her to bring me her Bible and show me....

The word was "breast"...and she was to chapter 4 of the Song of Solomon!:) I was not at all prepared for that one and I burst into laughter and then lovingly encouraged her that the Song of Solomon was a book in the Bible that is beautiful but it is especially for Mommies and Daddies and that she needed to head back over to Psalms and Proverbs!:) I love how my kids keep my giggling!:)

As for the "serious"...

I read a blog post from a gal that I am not familiar with at all (so I can't vouch for anything else she says or recommends) but it was a needed reminder, a fresh perspective and an encouragement to my heart as I seek to examine what LOVE looks like in my life.

LOVE IS AN ACTION WORD I am going to be bold for a moment. Some of you may not like what I am going to say. That's okay. I am getting used to being unliked. There are just so many things on my heart these days and I feel like they need to be said. They keep me awake at night. And since the earthquake in Haiti and the death of Derek Loux, I have been moved to my very core. Bare with me while I try and put all of my swirling thoughts into some semblance of order. Love is an action word. Love doesn't sit idle. Love doesn't stay where it is comfortable. Love doesn't wait until there is enough money. Or until all it's ducks are in a row. Love doesn't need permission or approval from anyone. Love doesn't worry about reputations. Love doesn't weigh the cost or avoid sacrifice. Love doesn't hunker down on the couch with remote in hand, feeling sorry for what it has just witnessed, but never doing a thing about it. Love doesn't shrugs it's shoulders and let someone else do the work. Love doesn't turn a blind eye because the problems are too deep and too wide to ever make a difference. Love doesn't say "I'm not called". Love is an action word. Most people assume we are rich. They say things like "Oh you guys are just like Angelina and Brad". Um - yeah. Minus the 10 nannies, the private jets, the 7 mansions, the maids, cooks,the super model good looks, personal trainers..... oh and the MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars. Yeah, we are just like them. The honest truth is, we are usually broke. We live mostly paycheck to paycheck. We give away what is left. We rely on God to meet our needs. We have a nice life. Nothing extravagant. We have everything we could ever need. Our home is small. We wear hand me downs. And most of the world would consider us very rich. There are people who think we shouldn't be adopting. The fact is this. Whatever we can offer an orphan is going to be a million times better than what they would have had. Like a Mother and Father for example. Like a family. We have went into every adoption with two pennies to rub together. We never had it ahead of time. And we have watched God provide it every single time. Some people don't agree with that either. They think if you don't have the money upfront, you shouldn't be adopting. It is baffling to me honestly. It is completely acceptable to raise money for breast cancer research. Or for the Humane Society. Yet raising money to give a child a family is not. There is nothing wrong with giving to those things, but you will never have the joy of seeing the direct outcome of where your money went. Each time we give to an adoption, we have the honor of seeing the child come home, united with their family. We get to see the joy in their eyes. We get to be apart of changing a life forever. Love is an action word. If you are an American and you are reading this on your own computer, you are far more privileged than most of the world. You are rich. Just think about it for a moment. You could have been born anywhere in the world. You could have been born in Haiti currently living in a tent. You could have been born in Africa, the 8th child to an HIV positive women who is dying and cannot feed you. You could have been born anywhere. But, you were born here. Have you ever asked yourself why? I don't think it was so you could live in American suburbia your whole life, work to make yourself as comfortable as possible, retire in a lovely golf community in Florida , and then die. You were put here for a purpose. It is not an accident you were born into comfort and safety. It was not an accident you have more than most of the world. When you come to the end of your life you will not regret what you did as much as you will regret what you didn't do. Our lives weren't meant for comfort and safety. Jesus didn't come and buy a nice house in the suburbs, raise a family, and then die. He didn't sit back and wait for someone else to do something. He didn't shrug his shoulders while the rest of world was dying around him. He gave all that He had. He revolutionized this world. He forever changed religion. His life was marked with suffering and pain. He didn't seek comfort. He acted. He loved. He was one man. I am one woman. You are one person. Together we can put love into action. We can put our comfort aside and bury the American dream. Sure it may be hard. You might get hurt. You might not always be safe. You might lose everything. But, you will never regret it. Your life will never be boring. You will find the greatest joy you can ever imagine. "faith without works is dead." James 2:20 Love is an action word. Last night I stayed up watching Derek Loux's Memorial service. If you want to be inspired, I highly recommend watching it. What a life he led. I was so incredibly moved by how many lives he touched. He had an enormous heart for the orphan. In fact all over the room were photos of children that he directly helped to be adopted. No one mentioned what degree he held or how much money he made. No one said anything about how successful he was in his career. But over and over again, person after person, spoke of how he loved. I want my life to be like Derek's. Before the earthquake there were 143 million orphans. That number has greatly risen in the past two weeks. Most of us, if we look around at our lives have the room and the resources for one more child. We can all fit one more. Even me. I can fit one more. I can feed, clothe, and love one more. And I already have ten. Did you know that if only 7% of Christians took in one orphan, there would be no more orphans in the world? Imagine a world without orphans. People think adoption has become popular, fashionable even. That could not be further from the truth. I believe it is the product of an outcry of prayers from those of us who desire to see every orphan have a home. It is a movement in the body of Christ sparked by a spiritual awakening. It is so much more than saving a child's life. It is evangelism in it's very simplest form. Think about it. A child is taken into your home. He once lived in a place where the gospel was not preached. He lived in darkness and oppression. In your home he comes to understand salvation. Think of all of the lives that will be changed from his testimony. It is so much more than saving a life. Supporting orphanages is not a solution. While orphanages serve a purpose, they do not solve the problem. God's best for a child is a family. A mother and a father. Not growing up in an orphanage. Most orphanages are over crowded. They turn away children because they cannot meet the need. And don't get me started on the foster care system. That is most certainly not a solution. Children need families. God's best for a child is not foster care or an orphanage. It is a family. More now than ever before we need to come forward. We need to take action. We cannot stay silent and turn a blind eye. In the coming weeks, more and more Haitian orphans are going to need families. But, they aren't just in Haiti. They are in Russia, Africa, and right here in your city. They are all over the world. You can make room for one more. I am sure of it. If I can, you can too. This isn't about calling. This isn't about waiting until you have all of your ducks in a row. This is about taking action. Love is an action word.

Comments

For His Glory said…
I CAN NOT begin to tell you how timely (again) this post was...I have been extrememly burdened for the orphaned...I recently felt I got a little too bold on a recent post (enough so I actually posted an apology) But in hind's sight, I think I'm worrying too much about what man thinks...I am so encouraged and feel God allowed you to post this for others and also for my own heart assuranace...What she wrote was real and true!
Rebekah said…
AMEN! I have been following your blog ever since we started the adoption process....we are adopting a 8-10? yr. old boy from Ethiopia...we should be traveling in the spring....SOON!!! I just wanted to tell you that I frequently email your posts to people and I continually feel like you are explaining and posting things that I am feeling but have not typed out on a blog or made public to alot of people! I am so encouraged and alot of times feel like we are SO on the same wavelength with SO many things in life! Thanks so much for your blog! I think that you have inspired me to start one after we are home with our sweet boy!
WOW! Need I say more? She poured out her heart and said what needs to be said. Now I just need to get into the action!!! :)
Awesome. Convicting, but thank God for brothers and sisters in Christ who are bold enough to write (or post!) such very true thoughts to shake some of us in our affluent-American "lethargy". God help us!

I look forward to sharing this one w/ Matt(and getting his thoughts...). Thanks again for posting, Krisin!

VERY interesting statistic she gave regarding if only 7% of Christians would adopt one child, there would be no more orphans. WOW...
Anonymous said…
I saw this post too. I can't remember how I found it. My mom was just telling me about a conversation she had with a nurse when she was getting her radiation. Mom had taken photos of the girls because the doctor is from India and she was interested in knowing about/seeing my girls. The nurse was looking at the photos and said it was so neat that we had adopted and what a great thing it was, but.....she said they could never afford to adopt - it is SO expensive.

That comment makes me livid - in fact, I am going to post on it and include this blog you posted. Does she think we are loaded? It is ALL about priorities.

Thanks for another kick in the pants to speak the truth.
Kristin said…
Rebekah, what a sweet blessing it was to hear from you..it' blows me away how God an and does use all things, including blogs to encourage us! :)

Samuel is a little bit younger than the boy you will be adopting...but if you eve have any questions, feel free to email me at pichurak@gmail.com

I am so excited for you!