Breathing the air of grace


Each day is a gift from the Lord. Each day has been fashioned by Him to be used in my life to sanctify me and to glorify Himself. Each day His good and perfect gifts abound! Those truths should cause me to stand amazed and to literally start each day with joyous praise on my tongue. But so often I don't....why? I think Mike Mason said it more eloquently and beautifully than I ever could...and through his words my heart has been encouraged anew to "dance with joy" each day of my life...especially when I think about my marriage (as that is the context of this quote).

"Just so easily are miracles unraveled, disqualified, turned back into the common stuff of everyday life. Just so easily do statistics sprinkle their unmagical dust over all the wondrous beauty of life, transforming the celestial into the commonplace, the impossible into the inescapable. Yet if even the miracle of a man and a woman in love can be stripped of its splendor, covered with dust, buried under ordinariness, then what hope have we men and women of ever surviving the monotony of Heaven, where love will be as common as air? How shall we cope in an afterlife where there will be nothing miraculous to lift us out of our tedium, because there will be nothing unmiraculous? Here and now, it seems, is the time to practice amazement, the time to learn how to be thunderstruck. Either we suffocate under all that is unbeautiful, unsurprising, unspectacular, ungraceful in our lives, or else we learn here and now to breathe the air of grace. In marriage, to put this thought into more homely language, we learn how to appreciate one another, to see one another as precious. We learn how to love."
(The Mystery of Marriage by Mike Mason).

I pray that we can all join together, in whatever state of life we are in...whether married or unmarried, with a full quiver or empty nesters, and "breathe the air of grace" and be a little more "thunderstruck" each day!

****I had just put this post on my blog when I read something over on Girltalk Blog that was right along the same lines. In fact, it was an article that I have used many times...but forgot about it! If you have an extra minute...check it out!

Comments