I've got 9 more of them!


It's actually kinda embarrassing that a cut, less than an inch in length, could "disrupt" the day to day activity of our home. No, not in big ways...but ways that are still noticeable...writing, typing, washing dishes, taking a shower. It slows me down...and, if you know me at all, slow is not a big word in my vocabulary.:) It's just a finger...I have nine others so what's the big deal, right?!

That got me thinking about 1 Corinthians 12...yep, the passage that talks about the church being like the body.

"But now there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you";or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you". On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary." I Cor. 12:21-22

I may have 9 other fingers that work just fine but that one finger has had an impact on all other 9 and I have realized the blessing of having all 10 fingers in working order. So, too, it is with the body of Christ. "God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired." (vs. 18). Paul says in verse 26, "And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it."

There is no such thing as a "you don't matter person" at church. There is no such thing as an "unimportant job of service" to the body. There is no one just like you...and you have been placed within your local body of believers by God's desire and design for the building up of the church and the glory of God. Your service, even when it seems to be "insignificant" is "indispensable"!

Maybe you don't think of yourself as a finger, though, but as the hand.:) Be humble! Remember 1 Corinthians 4:7: "For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" I love that verse...because I tend to be a boaster!

I am so thankful for my fingers, so thankful for the Word of God that gives us all that we need for life and godliness, so thankful for all the ways that He teaches and grows us and so thankful that we get to do that growing alongside other believers (and super blessed by one of those believers bringing us dinner tonight! I just may have to hurt one of my fingers every week...tee-hee)! My heart rejoices over His design and plan for our lives and that there is no such thing as "insignificance" in His master plan!

Comments

For His Glory said…
Oh man...I am so sorry...I would of been bawling like a baby...And I always say, only you, can make a bible study out of a "cut finger" :)
Anonymous said…
that's so funny! my friend and i were having a conversation about 1 Corinthians 12 today in our socials class. we were talking about how different countries are like different parts of the body-when one country doesn't do what it is good at, everything can fall apart for everyone else.
Katie
Juli said…
Kristin, that verse from Corinthians always makes me think of the appendix. I know that's not what Paul was referring to, but I can't help it. What's the purpose of an appendix anyway? :)
Juli said…
Oh, and I agree w/our friend down below. Only you can make a Bible study out of a cut finger :)
Anonymous said…
Just a little typo in the verse - the second part should be: "And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" I love that verse.