Odds and Ends


Today, I had a couple of spiritual blessings from my children...those are the things I don't want to forget...so I am writing them down in my "blog journal" and you get to read along!:)

Grace came into the kitchen today and said that as she was washing her hands she thought that sin was like soap...it starts out little but then gets bigger and bigger as you rub your hands together...and the only thing that can wash it away is water...and she equated water to the blood of Jesus! She made my momma's heart rejoice to hear her thinking gospel even as she washed her hands!:)Oh..and I don't think I have mentioned it yet..but Grace is officially in need of her two front teeth!:)

Then Samuel asked a question at dinner during family devotions...prompted by something Byran said...they were the most precious words he has ever spoken:

"Dad, why did God kill His Son?"

Oh the depth of the doctrinal truths of what he asked and the beauty of getting to explain the gospel, once again, to his little heart!

Switching gears completely, I LOVE paper plates...the flimsy ones that you almost need two of in order to keep the plate stable when food is put on it! Not only are they great for lunches (and keep me from running the dishwasher everyday) but they make for GREAT crafts...Faith and the kids used them at Uncle David and Aunt Michelle's house (back in January) to make masks and today Faith used them to make a big ol' sign that says "OLYMPICS". Each letter looked different and she worked on it for a long time. I have no idea when the excitement of the Olympics will fade in the Pichura house...but it hasn't happened yet!:)

And, while I am on things I love...I love making double of whatever we have for dinner (if you already have all the ingredients out...why not double the effort!). If you have a family with a few kids in it, I would HIGHLY recommend making a habit of it (unless, of course, your husband is one of those crazy men who will not eat leftovers!:)). I have found that I can make double recipes Monday - Thursday and then give myself a break for the other 2-3 days because we have enough leftovers. The kids like it because they can have their favorite meal over again (and skip the one they didn't like) and I feel like I get a bit of a "cooking" vacation each week...which frees up a lot of time! The other bonus is that, because you are making a bigger meal, you feel much more freed up inviting other people over, even spur of the moment, because you know you will have enough. Even if you don't cook it that night..you can always throw it in the freezer...a frozen meal is always a gift (for you or someone else!).

That's my humble opinion...thought I'd pass it on!:) If you have some opinions you'd like to share...comment away!:)

Comments

ruth said…
Kristin,
Thanks for sharing about your children's observations of Spiritual things...It reminded me of the verse in Proverbs 31:28; "Her children rise up and bless her..." I'm not sure that is the kind of blessing Solomon was referring to, but since you were Blessed...I think it also means it this way :D. Another verse that I like when thinking of the blessings children are from the Lord: Isaiah 54:13 "All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children."

On the other topic you wrote about...I used to cook for a month. There was a book written by a couple of Missionary women, who wrote about shopping for your meals one day a month. You would then cook all the hamburger, chicken, fish, etc.cut up the vegetables and anything else that needed to be "prepped" for making meals. (then that night you went "out" or ordered in) The next day was spent in assembly style in preparing the 30 + meals for the month. Since all your cooking and frying were done the day before the mess is not a lot to clean up and you have all these dinners in the freezer for the entire month!

I especially liked the recipes...they provided at least 60 so you didn't have the same thing over and over!

I miss our talks...and I miss you!
Love to all!
For His Glory said…
And they say kids are too young to understand these deep truths of God?? That was precious, I love it! And the art of Faith's has always amazed me :)