Pruning


Last week I shared my desire to be dependently disciplined and what that looks like. As I continue to seek that in my life through the grace of God, I also have to remember that living that way does not guarantee that life will be "peaches and cream". In fact, nowhere in Scripture do we ever see that following God means ease and prosperity. We are told to deny self and take up our cross...the cross meant death! In Scripture we often see the pain, imprisonment, death and suffering of believers...but we see in ALL those things God's sufficient grace and we know that He is used each and every situation for their good and His glory...He promises that(Romans 8:28)!

Adversity is not just something that might happen in our lives, it WILL happen! And God brings it into our lives or allows it for many different reasons...reasons that we may never know fully on this side of Heaven...but He calls us to trust Him, to wait on Him and to rest in His sovereign and perfect plan.

My heart was pricked and encouraged by one of the ways God uses our adversities...however big or small they may be. Jerry Bridges says:

"Jesus said that, "every branch that does bear fruit (God) prunes so that it will be even more fruitful" (John 15:2). In the natural realm, pruning is important for fruit bearing. An unpruned vine will produce a great deal of unproductive growth but little fruit. Cutting away unwanted and useless growth forces the plant to use its life to produce fruit.

In the spiritual realm, God must prune us. Because even as believers we still have a sinful nature, we tend to pour our spiritual energies into that which is not true fruit. We tend to seek position, success, and reputation even in the body of Christ. We tend to depend upon natural talents and human wisdom. And then we are easily distracted and pulled by the things of the world - its pleasures and possessions. God uses adversity to loosen our grip on those things that are not true fruit."

Wasn't that just beautiful?! At the time of the adversity, I'd dare say it seems mostly painful...but knowing what God can and does produce in our lives through it makes it beautiful! I truly want to be dependently disciplined on the Lord with my focus on things that matter, bearing true fruit. Though the pruning might be painful, I really do want each and every day of my life to be full of growth that matters...bearing fruit that will last into eternity to the glory and praise of the Lord.

Each day provides opportunity to rest and trust in the work the Lord is doing in my life...whether it be pruning or watering, storms or sun...knowing that it is for my growth and for His name's sake!

Comments

I cannot tell you how timely this post was for me to read. You have no idea. But God knew... and I'm thankful He lead me to take a moment (from the "urgent"
housework!) to sit and read it, guilty as I felt for doing so.

And I'm thankful for your solid, biblical encouragement, sister-in-Christ!, and for your faithfulness to use your talent in writing to glorify Him and encourage/edify the saints. Thanks.

love,
Linda
For His Glory said…
Our pastor said once, and I'll never forget it...Think about what you use to cut the trees...Sharp clippers...If used on us physically would be...um... painful...Now flipped to spiritual speaking, we can see that when we are experiencing pain of conviction from sin, suffering, or trial we know it WILL bear fruit for Christ in the end...If we never feel pain i.e. "pruning"~something is seriously wrong...

Thanks for the much needed reminder...
Paul said…
Wow Kristin! That quote by Bridges is like my life in a nutshell right now. Maybe I will need to blog about it :-) Love your words! The Spirit is using you in so many ways!