Saying "Yes" and "Capturing Teachable Moments"



One thing I am learning as I seek to be dependent on the Lord is that, because I am not striving to do things in my own strength, I am able to do more. Or, to put it another way, it is much easier to say yes.

I'll be the first to admit, I am much quicker to say "no" as a mom than I am to say "yes". Saying "yes" usually means that there will be a mess to be cleaned up, that it will take up more time than I feel like I have or that it simply will be an inconvenience to me.

There are times when a "no" is definitely the wisest choice, but, many times, the "no" is simply the easy choice. And often it is the easy choice because I am living in my own strength instead of dependent on the Lord...and my own strength is failing me and causing me to be "me centered".

One thing I have felt convicted about is how often I say "no" without asking the Lord for wisdom or examining my own heart to see if I really need to say "no". So, that has been my desire and prayer...to think and pray before I answer the many desires, plans and ideas of my kids.

Monday night, the girls asked me if they could have a tea party. I was tired, I was still cleaning up from dinner, and I just wanted the day to be over. So, I prayed...and then I said "yes". It required effort on my part as I boiled water for the tea, got the tea cups, made up some frosting and frosted a couple of cookies...but as I did, with a heart fixed on Jesus, in need of His strength and joy to bless my girls...I truly did find the Lord giving strength to my weary heart (Isaiah 40:31) and I began to actually get excited to bless the girls in this way. Titus and I sent the girls to their room and even lit a couple of candles and made it look extra pretty.
The girls were so delighted and blessed...Grace started crying and said that she was so thankful to God for me and her daddy. And I walked away with a full heart and tears in my eyes at what a little "yes" and a heart of dependence had done! What GOD had done!
And then I received a sweet blessing back from the girls. They ended up wanting to bless ME and gave me the royal treatment of a backrub and brushing my hair. It was just precious!
My girls are growing up...and I had my heart encouraged (through an off handed comment by someone at church on Sunday! God uses EVERYTHING!) that I needed to start having a Bible Study with my girls. They both can read now, which is very helpful when it comes to a Bible Study (though not necessary, by any means) and I want to take extra time with them, apart from our homeschool Bible time and our family devotions to focus on their relationship with God and with me (Bryan is working on a plan for the boys...he has got it a bit harder!:)). I want to "capture teachable moments" as much as possible for I know, as they already have, that the days will keep flying by and my girls will "fly away" much sooner than I can imagine.

I am keeping it simple...my desire is to shepherd their hearts, not to draw up some elaborate "set-up" that ends up failing because it is too much work! Just a half an hour to an hour once a week, some tea or juice and a cookie (which I am hoping to make with them in the day or two before our Bible Study...gotta get the baking in!:) ), and a little direction from the book "Growing Little Women (for younger girls):Capturing Teachable Moments with Your Daughter" by Donna Miller and Christine Yount. I can't vouch for the book as I have not used it yet...but I think it will be a great springboard for getting started!

The boys will be "banished" to their room for some special "Playstation" time! Rarely do they actually get told to play the Playstation...so I have a feeling they are going to be really excited!:)

I will keep you posted as to how it is going...just in case your thinking about joining me in your own Bible Study with your daughters! And, of course, I'd love your feedback or ideas if you are doing this or have done this with your daughter(s). I treasure all the godly wisdom that I can get!!!

Comments

5 Cougs said…
Such an inspirational post, Kristin! I am going to try to say "yes" more than "no" tomorrow!
Anonymous said…
Boy, can I relate to saying "no" for the wrong reasons. I have been convicted about that lately too, and just like you, found that when I let the girls do something they are so appreciative and happy. That is the best thanks I can receive!

I will pray about your special girl times of Bible study. I bought a book recently on the advice of a friend called, "Beautiful Girlhood" that I plan to do with my girls.

I have it easier right now because the girls are the only kids I am home schooling, but when Levi comes it will be more complicated and will take more premeditation on my part to have a special time with them.
This is for Faith & Grace ... We'll have to have a special tea party when Nanny comes to visit. I like that idea!!! Love you!
For His Glory said…
That was precious! The girls were so filled with joy at your sacrifice that it brought you joy! We've been doing those books by Donna Miller for the last 3 years and I CAN vouch for it...It is a wonderful book...There are not many resources for younger girls and moms and I have found this one to be just precious! And the one Lori mentioned "Beautiful Girlhood" is another one we will be doing soon!!...It's setting on my bookshelf just waiting :)
Unknown said…
oooh, this one is convicting...right down to the tea!
I can not tell you how much I say "no" out of my own selfishness - I don't really want to be bothered (the ugly truth told). Thank you for inspiring me to say "yes" more often.
In His strength....
Ginger said…
I just got this book and am thinking about using for both my girls (10&8) at the same time. So, is that what you're doing? I'm just afraid due to our schedules (& my husband's work schedule) that if I try to schedule a "date" time with each daughter individually it just won't hold up long term.

p.s. your girls are precious...yes, they do grow up too fast!
Kristin said…
Hi Ginger...don't know if you are going to see this comment? :)

I have found that time with both girls is what works best. I feel badly sometimes for the lack of "one on one"...but try to fit in time for just "them" every once in a while...like when I make a quick trip to the grocery store.

I just got a new devotional book that I am pretty excited about. It's by Dannah Gresh ( heard of her from Revive Our Hearts)...the "One Year Mother Daughter Devo" . I literally just got it...so I have not had time to look at it really good...but it looks like it has potential! :)