A Sobering Reminder


I have so many pictures to share of this past week...so many precious memories and little moments that I do not want to forget...but right now I sit here pondering other things...or, more specifically, a letter. I am thankful to John Piper for his humble, honest letter to his congregation that was posted on the "Desiring God Blog" yesterday. I am sure many of you have already read it...but, as a pastor's wife, it held significant weight and brought with it a measure of soberness as well as thankfulness. Thankful that he has honestly shared his heart and thankful that we can grow and learn from what he has shared. But also sober, because I know how quickly things like that can happen in ministry (and in life in general) because I have seen how my own marriage can, at times, be "rock solid" but not always tender and attended to. It's easy to let things slip in the midst of busy ministry life.

I am so thankful for the example of John Piper...so thankful for the men and women who we can be encouraged by as we seek to be like Jesus and honor and glorify Him in our families and churches!

Comments

Awesome letter from Piper. Wow. God bless him, and his family (and his marriage!) during this time. Noel is a blessed woman that her husband has a humble enough spirit to do something this "radical" in order to prayerfully "set things right" in his marriage and in his life.

I so appreciated his transparency, the wisdom he displayed, and his example as well. It's so nice to read about a man who is seeking to be proactive in these matters, as opposed to the stuff we see on the news all the time about marriages going the complete opposite way.

Piper's letter was REFRESHING to read. God bless him.

thanks for sharing, Kristin!
Juli said…
I saw that letter and it really touched my heart. Our current Women's Bible Study finished 2 Peter and is now going through Jude. So, I've been learning a lot about false teachers.

It was refreshing to read such a tender letter from someone who is living out what it truly means to be a pastor and a husband.
Wow, what honesty and a transparent heart before the Lord. It brings some verses to my mind...
Romans 7:18-8:1
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
Life in the Spirit

8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. [1]
Paul said…
Thanks Kristin for posting this letter. I may not have read it otherwise and it completely blessed my socks off! I will pray for Piper during this time to be completely refreshed, like David at Engedi. May his prayer ring truer. That Bethlehem's greatest fruits would be in the next 8 months, so that they can be seen by the power of God to be of God and not of Piper. What humility to want that himself. Love ya!