Want some good granola bars?


This is the third time I have made these homemade granola bars (thank you allrecipes.com) and we all LOVE them! I figured there might be a few of you out there who have been thinking, "Boy, I just wish I had a good granola bar recipe?!" :)...so this is for you! I do tweak the recipe just a bit...so I'll add my suggestions to the bottom of the recipe.

Playgroup Granola Bars


* 2 cups rolled oats
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

The Pichura Family likes using sunflower seeds(1/4 to 1/2 a cup) instead of raisins and we love to add some mini chocolate chips. We also add about 1/4 cup of flax seed instead of the wheat germ and almost a 1/2 cup of peanut butter. It's a great recipe to tweak and add and take away from!

Hope you like it too!

Comments

Kimiko said…
Thanks for the recipe - we'll have to try it! I've seen that recipe on AllRecipes before and was wondering about them. Now I know! But aren't they called "PlayGROUP Granola Bars"? Hehe...love ya! And can't wait to SEE you!! :D
Kristin said…
That's so funny...your right, Kimiko...I completely got the name wrong!:) I am going to correct it now!:)
Anonymous said…
I bought the ingredients I didn't have and plan on making your recipe. Definitely adding the peanut butter and chocolate chips and leaving out the raisins! Can't have it all healthy, right?
hmschlmomof4 said…
Are these the ones that we had at the park? They were very yummy!
Kristin said…
yep...they were! :)
Kristin C said…
too funny....I said to myself...I bet if there is not chocolate in the recipe that K adds chocolate---and PB--sounds GREAT!
Kimberly said…
MMMMM....sounds delicious...I've been meaning to make granola bars for a while now, after I bought a bunch of ingredients, but these sound easier than the last ones I made. I bet they would also be good with cocoa powder to make chocolate ones (maybe)...thanks for posting this!!! So excited to have a GOOD granola bar recipe now...well, at least if I'm taking your word for it!! :) Love you! So excited to see you!
Kristin said…
That is too funny Kristin! :) You know me! :)
YUM! thanks!! I look forward to trying it! And I like the way you tweaked it, too! I think I'm going to go w/ exactly what you did. I like to add flax, I love peanut butter, and of course, the choc. chips are a "must" for me...even in a granola bar! :0)

thanks for sharing!!