The Battle Rages

Last Monday I shared a letter with you all that John Piper had written regarding his leave of absence. It was a precious letter and I shared how encouraged I was and thankful for Piper's example.

This Monday, I have to be honest...I am disappointed with this same man. He has made a decision that I do not agree with and that I would not follow him in. Without going into details here, I would encourage you to read an article on the subject by Tim Challies. I thought it was fair and well written.

I continue to pray for Piper, continue to be thankful for his ministry and continue to rejoice knowing that God is at work and that His purposes stand and cannot be thwarted...but it was also a reminder at how much more I need to be praying for these "great men of faith" in our generation that they would continue to hold forth the Word of God without wavering and without compromising...and that they would continue to live lives of discernment and steadfastness to their calling and to their pulpits.

The battle rages all around us...we need to be good soldiers, fighting with all our might, in the strength that God provides, for His glory and for His name's sake!

Comments

Ruth said…
Kristin it is so interesting that you posted this. I subscribe to a newsletter called "Lighthouse" who sole purpose to show how Christianity is being "changed" by "great men & women of faith." The article that I read was exactly what your friend's post said. And I sent it to John & Steve this morning to read. My father has been quite concerned for several years...and is asking me to pray 2 Chron. 7:14. If you are interested in the newsletter I'd be more than happy to send you the link...just email me. :D
Hope your Easter was really special!
Michelle Hamm said…
Thanks for posting this article. I too, have some concerns regarding this invitation. I will be in prayer for this conference.
For His Glory said…
hmmm...That is interesting! I can't help but wonder if Piper has some hidden agenda with Warren...Maybe he knows how big Warren is and would love to show grace and point him to more God-centered preaching?? Just don't know if this is the "wisest" way he should do it...I think there was something like this with MArk Driscoll too, a while back...I really see Piper as keeping from emphisizing on too much "theology" as the focal point, and being sure that grace is being given to those who are in need of it, I see him as having a heart for those who love Jesus...I see too often where the pride of "knowledge" causes preachers to look down on others who don't "get it" like they do, when really, these preachers may need other brothers to give them grace to see all the truths of the gospel...Afterall our favorite preachers didn't get where they are by themselves, but by others who also are running alongside and encouraging them...Let's hope that might happen here! In fact let's pray that it WILL happen in Warren's heart...Thanks for the head's up...I like what Challies says at the end though...

" There is no need for us to separate from Piper over such a decision. We have plenty of latitude to disagree with him; let's do so with respect for him and for his long and faithful history of ministry to the church. The sky is not falling, the world will go on."
Anonymous said…
I first saw that Piper invited Warren on Justin Taylor's blog a few days ago. I watched Piper's video about why he asked him to speak, but was very disappointed in what he had to say. It just doesn't seem as wise and thought out as he usually conducts himself.

I saw Challies post about it and thought he did a GREAT job. I do think it is a big deal, though. I hope the decision doesn't end up tainting Piper's ministry.