Building our Homes Part II


I sit here with a cap on my head, the faint smell of chemicals in my nose...and the hopes that all those holes that I (and Bryan!) poked into my head will look something like the highlighting I am hoping for!:)

I am heading back to Psalm 127 tonight...but I am dropping down to verse 4....I'll go back, I promise.

"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth."

Our children are like arrows...and I can't say that I know too much about archery...but I do know that a warrior wants arrows that, when shot, will hit the mark...and stick! So those arrows must be sharp and they must be straight.

And that is the way we need to seek to raise our kid....sharp and straight. The only way to be "sharp" is to know the Word of God.

"For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

His Word is living and active, His Word convicts and does not return void. In the end, the only words that we say to our kids that will matter (that will affect their soul) are God's Words. We as mom's need to first love His Word and that love should spill over into helping our kids to love it too! Memorization, reading it to them, encouraging their own personal time with the Lord, speaking His truth to them throughout the day...as we love them, encourage them, correct them, etc.(Deut. 6:7-9). These are all ways that we can make our kids "sharp" in what really matters. How that affects their heart and changes their lives is solely a work of God...but we must be faithful to do our part.

And we need to seek to raise up straight arrows. We need to continually be helping them and guiding them...encouraging them to acknowledge the Lord in all their ways for only He can make their paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6).

"Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." Hebrews 12:9-13

One thing I have been convicted about in regards to these two objectives "sharp and straight" is that often I am quick to point out my kids sin and tell them what to "put off" without encouraging them in what to "put on". My kids have often said, in frustration:"Mom, I have asked the Lord to help me but He is not helping me...I keep sinning." We have talked through the fact that often there is no help because they are asking with wrong motives (James 4:3)...their desire is not to glorify God but simply to get what they want or not get in trouble.

But I also believe that they feel frustrated because they are not being instructed in what to "put on" and so they quickly revert back to the very thing they just repented of. Colossians 3 is a fantastic passage on this subject. In fact, Micah and I are going to be working on memorizing a portion of it (we spent some time sitting on the floor of his room discussing this very subject today!). As moms, we need to be equipping them with what God's Word says not just about what NOT to do but what TO DO instead. I have found it often helps to "role play"...to go back over the situation at hand and do it again...this time, thinking Biblically and therefore acting and speaking in a way that honors God. It may feel a little corny at first..but it has been a huge tool in helping my kids to see the "straight path" and to be "sharp" in the ways of the Lord.

And, let's not forget...unless we are doing this in the strength that God provides, seeking His way for His glory...it is vanity!

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain..." Psalm 127:1a

Comments

Anonymous said…
Replaying or going over what they should have done or said is not corny - it is completely right! In reading books about discipline they say that by having our children do something over the right way helps them to remember to do it that way the next time. Muscle memory for the brain!

I know you have read "Don't Make Me Count to Three", but do you have her little chart called, "Wise Words for Moms"? http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Words-Moms-Ginger-Plowman/dp/0966378660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272651081&sr=1-1

She gives you verses for attitudes and actions that are what the child needs to "take off" and "put on" for particular discipline issues. I don't suppose you need to buy this (it is $4.00), but you could make your own chart of frequent issues that come up in discipline and have verses at the ready to share at those times.

I like doing this and am amazed at how well it works even with the girls who are just learning about God and why we should listen to His word.

I have noticed them talking to me about conviction of sin - even in things they weren't caught in - and I am so thrilled knowing that the Spirit is working in their hearts!

On a less spiritual note, how did your hair turn out? I would be scared to do that at home! :-)
Joyful Mommy said…
Thank you, Kristin, for this bit of encouragement. This is a timely reminder of why I do what I do. It helps me to keep pressing on. Thanks, dear friend! :)
Kristin said…
Lori! Thanks for the tidbits...I actually almost posted the info about Ginger Plowman along with this post!:) I have been so blessed by her ministry...not just "Don't Make Me Count To Three" and the calendar but also her book "Heaven At Home" and her DVD series...I actually did those with my ladies Bible Study several year ago! :)

And...the hair...GREAT! :) It's so worth the $7 dollars if you can get past the fear of messing up your hair!:) I still have "mini panic attacks" almost every time I do it! :)
Paul said…
Hey sis,

I would encourage you too, that when you are in the midst of instruction them (certainly that will be admonishing included) that the CROSS is right there in the middle. That because of Jesus all your kids (if they know Him) are clothed in His righteousness with the power from the Spirit to PUT ON. :-) If they don't know Jesus they can't PUT ON, which is the sad truth. Hope this is an encouragement to you as well, as we all seek to put off and put on. We have been given the mind of Christ, and we have been clothed in righteousness. Every morning I would pray for you and I to remember the new clothes that we wear :-) Love ya!