Confessions of a Sweet Tooth


Ever since my Dad had his surgery, the way I see food is a little different than the way I saw it before. I'm my Dad's daughter...genes and all...so I know that what has happened to him could be me several years down the road.

I have always been conscience of my weight and a desire to "keep it down" but I have truly never been a "healthy eater". For instance, when I was on Weight Watchers, I would eat as little as possible throughout the day so that I could have a big ice cream cone at the end of the day!:) Ice cream, chocolate and just about anything sweet would be my pick over a meal any day of the week...unless, of course, you wanted to throw in some yummy bread and butter and a bunch of cheese!:) I put smiley faces at the end of the sentences but it really is all true...and I'm not really that pleased with myself.

At this point, some of you may be thinking I'm from another planet, others of you may actually find some delight in the fact that we hold these things in common :) and, some of you that see me on a regular basis will start watching me at potlucks and dinner's to see if I am really changing at all!:) And, you know what, I welcome the accountability...I really do!

Anyway, back to seeing food a little bit differently....it's not just about calories...but what kind of calories I am putting into my body. I've been looking at saturated fat content and sugar content and reading up on what carbs, protein, fiber, fat and sugar does to and for our bodies. It's super amazing how God has made our bodies to work and how, what we put into it, really does determine how well our bodies will be able to do the job they've been given to do by God.

So, we've begun to make some changes in the Pichura home...nothing drastic...but everything in moderation! And yes...once mom is on board, everyone gets to get on board!:) Poor Faith asked me yesterday when our "diet" is going to be over :)...I'm not sure she liked hearing that this was the way we were going to be LIVING!:)

The junk addict in me is not liking this whole thing too much either. In fact, I have noticed myself struggling with being irritable and not being joyful. With a disposition of "cranky" instead of a disposition of rejoicing. And I think food is at the heart of it.

There are so many ways people in our world seek to be satisfied, to be happy. Of course, we know that apart from Jesus, nothing will satisfy...but there are still many ways others look to find happiness that we, as believers, cannot and do not take part in because they are sinful. Not so with food. Food, in and of itself, is not sin...so it has always felt very "safe" for me. I spend much of my time "denying self" as I take care of 6 kids and homeschool, etc... and (junk)food has been one area that I don't deny myself...that I can enjoy and not have it taken away from me no matter what is going on that day. And, if you have ever had a "Friendly's" Reece's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae than you know that food CAN make you happy...at least for a while!:)

The ability to eat junk food whenever I wanted (and as much as I wanted) really had become an idol to me without me even realizing it. And the reason I can recognize it now is because as I am seeking to deny my cravings and desires in the area of food, I find myself losing joy and growing irritated. A sure sign that an idol is lurking nearby!

I guess what I am learning is that there is no such thing as a "safe" affection. Everything, no matter how good it is, can still become an idol when we want it more than God. Anyone, no matter how dear they are to us, can still become an idol when we love them more than God. It's a daily battle to fight against the idols that so quickly creep up...and it's a fight in which the battle cry must be that of Lamentations 3:24:

"THE LORD IS MY PORTION"

That is my prayer, that is my goal...that is the truthful confession from a "sweet tooth"!

Comments

Sara said…
Kristin, I can SO RELATE! I think there were YEARS where all I ate was apple jacks, gummy bears ...and topped them off with a diet coke. (Now don't you feel better?). We did a family food revolution a few years back (maybe a little easier for us then as we didn't have children) and its been one of God's greatest blessings to us. We both had such energy boosts and went from being sick pretty often to rarely having a cold.

All to say ...IT IS WORTH IT (hard to believe when you're staring at a DQ blizzard that you've just said no to:))!
Anonymous said…
Hey have you been living my life? I know I have an addiction to sugar! And I can relate to your Faith...
I cut all sugar out of my life for a year...but only me, I didn't make my whole family. It was probably one of the hardest things I had ever done. I really should have continued, becaue with me there isn't MODERATION! :( But I'll never forget my kids reaction when I said I would eat sugar again. They cheered and danced and were extremely happy.

hmmm...that make me wonder why? Was it because now they didn't have to hide what they were eating? Or had I been different since I was "denying" myself something I was addicted to? They never did tell me...

But I do agree with you...it can become an idol. I truly believe that the only way I will ever be "free" of the sugar addition is to find a 12 step program! :p

Thanks for the encouragement!
Well, I think I caught in there that you guys have made small changes, which I think is great! "All things in moderation", as you mentioned.

But I just want to encourage you (and anyone else!) that there is a lot of healthy "junk foods" on the market, too!---Food items found in places like Trader Joe's or healthy/organic sections of supermarkets that can act as good (sweet or "salty") substitutes for the "junk" that we often think of first.

For example, Kashi has soft-baked cookies that are hearty, sweet---but with no refined sugars, 140 calories per cookie (like I said, they're hearty!), 5 g fat/ 1 g saturated fat, 21 g carbs, 2 g protein, 0 cholesterol, 4 g fiber, and only 8 g sugar. Nothing artificial. And DELICIOUS! :0)

For ice cream lovers, this alternative is not "all natural", but it's a pretty decent substitute: Dreyer's Slow Churned Yogurt Blends---Chocolate Fudge Brownie frozen yogurt. A 1/2 cup serving is only 120 calories, 3.5 grams fat/ 2 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbs, 3 g protein, 14 g sugar. WAYYY better for us than hard ice cream, and just as tasty, if not BETTER! :) No "fake" sugars are in this, either.

As for "salty" things, my sister-in-law recently brought over a bag of Pirate's Booty Veggie baked rice and corn puffs (think healthy-version of Cheetos). Except sodium per serving is only 120 mg, 5 grams fat, 0 saturated fat, with ingredients like: Corn meal, rice, soy flour, rice flour...broccoli powder, cabbage powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, kale powder... you get the idea. But before you inwardly think, "oh... Yum.", let me tell you, THESE puffs were nearly addicting to ME, they were SOOO delicious! In fact, I'm glad we are done with the bag, if truth be told!!

And there are soooo many other great products, especially for "sweet tooths" that are all-natural, whole grains, low in fats, etc. that we can eat in moderation to satisfy that sweet tooth that so many of us have!

Let's face it: God made food to be pleasurable for us, and He also made sweet things as well---many references to sweet things being pleasurable, such as honey, in the Bible!

I think our challenge in this day and age is to be able to enjoy foods that are appropriate portion sizes, as well as treats with ingredients that are mostly "God made" as opposed to "man made" (i.e., refined sugars, artificial colors, preservatives, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, etc.) that make many of our bodies sick--- in the present, as well as down the road. There are LOTS of good alternatives that can satisfy us, and that are good for our bodies, too!

Sorry for writing a BOOK on your blog!! :0)
God bless you!!
love,
linda