Please Join Us in Prayer


Sometimes the words don't come when I sit down to type...the tears do. This is one of those times. They are not tears of sadness but of thanksgiving...for God's plan, for God's timing and for the life that He gives...and especially the life He has given to my dad.

While my dad was in surgery for the removal of his appendix...his heart did some funny things for a few minutes. Those "funny things" turned out to be a mild heart attack and He was taken yesterday morning to Portland for some additional testing. Those additional test revealed that he needs triple bypass heart surgery. Truly, God used his appendix to save my dad's life.

I would lie if I told you that the unfolding of the last few days has not affected me at all...it has. I know that our days were planned out by God before the foundation of the world...and I have spent plenty of time the last few days reminding my children of that as they have been quick to fear when it comes to their beloved Papa. But I also have realized there are so many times that I live life without thought of death, without thought of life being a vapor, without living life in light of eternity. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, death is not a possibility...it is a reality, each day is a gift from the Lord...our very breaths are acts of grace and mercy.

I have struggled with selfishness this past week...wanting a break from children who I spend each and every day with. I was forgetting Psalm 118:24, "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it," and wishing instead for my day to look differently. The idol of "me" had grown in my heart and and God and His precious gifts seemed small. God has ways of waking us up, huh? Truth is, though, none of this is really about me...it's more about my dad...but mostly, it's about God and the glory that He will not give to another. It's taking what we know in our mind about Him and His character and hiding it deep in our hearts so that it overflows into all that we think, say and do.

Part of that has resulted in an overflow of thanksgiving...for all that God is for us in Christ Jesus and for all the promises that He has given to us that cannot be broken...not even by death. And my heart has overflowed with thankfulness for my dad. If you know him...you know why. Each year he becomes even more precious to my heart as, each year He becomes more and more like Jesus. He's a godly man and a pastor who proclaims God's truth week in a week out with a shepherd's heart, a husband who truly does call his wife his best friend and favorite person to be with, a loving sacrificial father who has blessed us with his wisdom and council more times than I can even count and a Papa who is adored by his grandchildren.

My thankfulness gives way to prayer on behalf of my dear dad and I would ask for your prayers on his behalf as well! He sent out an email to explain a little bit more clearly what has taken place this past week...and I thought I would include it here for you to read!

Dear Family and Friends:

I wanted to send a summary e-mail to as many as possible to give you an update on what has transpired this week. The Word of God says, “The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps” (Prov. 16:9). Well, my steps have been redirected this week and for months to come. I am writing this from Providence Hospital in Portland after just enjoying a shower and feel OK right now. After reading this you will understand why I am still grateful to be alive.

Sandy and I would appreciate your prayers as we have encountered a most unusual week. It all started on Tuesday when I noticed pain in the area of the appendix. That evening I went into ER to get checked out and all tests showed that I was suffering from appendicitis. They removed my appendix on Wednesday morning. During the operation the EKG also revealed irregularities with my heart. Further tests showed that I had suffered a very mild heart attack during the surgery. On Thursday morning I was transported by ambulance to Providence in Portland and admitted for further testing. My angiogram revealed extensive blockages in all major arteries. Fixing the problem will require open heart surgery, perhaps a triple or quad by-pass. While they thin my blood in preparation for the surgery, they must walk a delicate line as they need enough coagulation to heal the wounds from the appendectomy. God’s in control!

The surgery is scheduled to take place on Monday unless unexpected complications develop over the weekend. My surgeon is a believer and very skilled at what he does. He has an excellent reputation in his field and loves the Lord and His church. We believe God has placed us in excellent hands and has guided this whole week’s procedures for His glory and our future good.

Currently, I am in very good spirits, though still sore from the appendectomy. I believe the Lord providentially allowed all of these circumstances so that I might live and continue to serve Him and you for many years to come. However, if it His will is to take me home while on the table, I pray I will see you in heaven (trusting Jesus for forgiveness of your sin is the only way we can be sure that we will be reunited in glory). Sandy has been a blessing to me this week and it’s good to have her by my side. Sleep has been hard to come by as they wake you every so many hours for blood tests and medications, etc.

Please do not feel like you need to make a special trip to Portland to visit. Just keep us in your prayers. We are being well-cared for by the staff at the hospital and Sandy is a great companion. Also, everyone in the Providence system has been wonderful. The care we are receiving and the kindness shown to us is excellent.

We miss and love you all, and, Lord willing, we will see you on the other side of surgery.

Blessings to you all,

Bruce Parker



"You keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trust in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock." Isaiah 26:3

Comments

For His Glory said…
Oh my...Unblelievable the way God works...It does take God giving us doses of "reality checks" to humble us at what IS really important as we walk this weary land...I totally know what you mean...And of course God is the most important and Him being glorified, but I speak in respects to people and gift of God....

Bruce, my dad went through heart surgery last year and it was a very emotional time filled with anticipation at what the Lord would do...Ultimatly, you are not in the doctor's hands, but actually Gods. May you be at peace and may your family be brought closer as a result of this sweet trial from God, that HE will use for good! Praying for you all...Wendy
Kristin,

Your dad is in my prayers! How gracious of God to reveal these problems with your dad's heart---through an appendectomy procedure! Praise God for that!

Praying for the knowledge of God's love, His sovereignty, and His peace to fill you, comfort you & encourage you during this time as well. It's very sobering...

God bless you and your family. Do keep us informed on your Dad's progress!

love,
linda
Kristin, we will be praying for your Dad, and your whole family. What an amazing story your Dad has! May the peace of the Lord be upon you and your family. Keep us posted.
Anonymous said…
Kristin, What a precious letter from your dad. You are so blessed.

I love how God works in ways that amaze us! I loved what you had to share Kristin, so true and so like our God. Aren't we thankful that Jesus,as our Shepherd, who loves and cares for us and walks through everything with us, uses his rod and staff to guide us when we are getting a little off the path?
I don't know if you will get to come to Portland to visit your dad, but know that we will be praying for him, for his surgeon and for your family. Much love, Lori
What a blessing that his heart problem was discovered and how God chose to reveal it. I have to admit that when I read your dad's e-mail, I cried. I love your mom & dad so much and I share in your concern for him, and also your knowledge that God is good and He is sovereign. Please know that I will be in much, much prayer for both your mom & dad. Please, please let us know how Monday goes. Love to you all.
5 Cougs said…
I will be praying for your dad and your family. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man of God, what a blessing!
Well, Mom showed me the blog and I've read every word from all of you through eyes that are sobbing from the kind words I don't deserve. Hope, I'm crying, too ... but not because I am worthy of what all of you have said, but because Jesus has convicted, converted, corrected and continues to conform my soul to reflect more of His love and grace than I am able to give you myself. I have failed so many people who have put their hope and trust in me, but Jesus never fails the earthen vessels He uses to bring power and glory to His name. I'm honored to know that the Lord has touched many of you through our lives, and that my ministry in particular has helped so many. That truly is amazing grace!

I know God has a plan and purpose for this trial (that was the risk I took when I chose to preach through 1 Peter). Some of our people said, "Pastor, that's easy for you to say, you haven't been through __________. Well, if I come through this surgery repaired, I pray I can help them continue to find their peace and rest in the Lord; He is my only ROCK during times like these, and yes, Wendy, you are absolutely right, He is even sovereign over the doctors, too!

My surgeon is a humble man of God who loves Jesus and I am privileged to have him be an instrument in the Redeemer's hands. He is one of the nation's leading experts in the field and we talked theology and practical ministry for a half hour yesterday, then we prayed and talked about my case. He also serves as an elder in his church.

Although I expect to come through this surgery and see you all again; there is risk. All the facts have been explained, and I would be lying if I said that my human fears don't assault me now and then. But as the Scripture says, "Faith is the victory that overcomes the world!" Last Sunday's resurrection hope is the only hope we have ... that whether we live or die, there is eternal joy for the believer who belongs to Jesus! The same joy that enabled Jesus to endure the cross is the joy that is taking me through this trial, regardless of the outcome.

Given the trauma I will be experiencing the next month or two, I will not likely be reading or writing anytime soon. Kristin will have to keep you all posted in the near future. I have appreciated her words of wisdom as much as she claims to have learned from mine. God has used all of my kids to help show me my sin and my need to cling to Jesus, my Savior, and I am eternally grateful for their love, patience and kindness toward me all these years. And yes, my beloved wife, Sandy is my best friend and having her by my side is such a blessing!

Thanks again for all your kind words, and your prayers, too!

Resting in Jesus!

Dad