Stupid Rain


That is the title in the first chapter of "Everyday Talk"...one of my most favorite parenting books. It was a title that caught my attention and held it...all the way through to the end of the book!:)

It's starts with a father and son staring out the window on a day that they had planned to go out and play baseball...and it was raining. The father whispers under his breath "Stupid rain!" and, from then on Younts spend the rest of the book talking about how EVERYTHING we say reflects our view of God and what we believe to be true about Him. He gives the rain...and, since all that He does is good...there is no such thing as "stupid rain".

Today, Micah had a baseball game and, you guessed it, it was rained out. It was an opportunity to help him preach to himself the sovereignty of God in ALL things...including rain and baseball games! It's in the "everyday talk" that our kids learn what we truly believe about the God that we love!

Today was also the day that my dad went home from the hospital! He is doing well but still has a long road ahead. My mom's fibro myalgia has flared up (probably due to the lack of sleep she has been getting) so her pain is pretty high right now. Thank you so much for your ongoing prayers! I have so many emails to respond to myself...I just haven't had much "down time" since getting home...thank you so much for the ways you have all showed your love and care!

I was tickled to read my dad's "carepage" today and find out that HE wrote it!!! Thought I would post it here so you could read for yourself my dad's thoughts on going home!

When I think about home, the Bible often equates heaven with home. It was the home I thought I might experience last week when I learned about the condition of my heart. Knowing I had a Savior who would greet me with opens arms, made the invitation a better choice than having to endure what I've been through this week. And there were moments when I thought heaven was God's choice for me; thanks to all the juicy burgers I've eaten, sinful choices I've made, and my family heritage and gene pool, that contributed to my body's deterioration.

When Dorothy talked about home in the Wizard of OZ, she was speaking ABOUT going home to Kansas (It's that sort of home I going back to, today). It's the home where the people you love live and the people who love you call to reach and visit you. It's also the home that my beloved wife Sandy has created for her undeserving husband, Bruce (Me!). It's a home where God's love dwells and His joy is experienced, and His grace has carried us through 32 wonderful years. This is the home I long to enjoy before entering the place Jesus is preparing for me one day, and I'm glad to be going there.

I don't have the energy right now to tell you about all that has transpired this week. I don't even know how much I remember. But I do know this: I'm going home to Hood River, and I'm still alive!

I know many of you will want to call, visit, pray with me etc. This I have been told, and again today ... You can't do it this week. My body needs rest and won't allow for the stimulation. Sandy will be guarding the gate (i.e. phones, mail, e-mails, answering door, etc. Her own fibromyalgia has limits, as well, so please be senstive).

We love you and appreciate all of you so much. Thanks for your continued prayers. The wheel chair is HERE!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you believe how quickly your dad is going home? That is amazing! What a blessing that God has given men the technology to "fix" people!

I will be praying for your Dad and your Mom.
For His Glory said…
I love that Book too!!! it's a "MUST HAVE"...The letter your dad wrote was written so gracefully and prayerfully people understand that you can not be all things to all people all at once...So just relax (in whatever way that looks for a mamma and wife) and recoup yourself sista :)...