"You are the Christ"


"You are the Christ". That was Peter's bold assertion when Jesus asked His disciples who they thought He was. He got it right. He knew what many did not. God had revealed to Peter who Jesus was and it's a beautiful passage of Scripture! It's one of those "mountaintop moments" for Peter. But in the next few verses of Mark chapter 8, Peter takes a painful tumble down that mountain. In fact, Jesus actually refers to him as Satan...or, to put it another way, as one doing Satan's bidding.

Jesus was sharing all that God has planned for Jesus....we call it "God's will". It involved suffering and death and was too much for Peter to take...so Peter rebuked Jesus. Yep, he pretty much told Jesus that God's will was not best. Peter was sharply rebuked and it's easy to point the finger at him and say, "There goes Peter again...foolishly shooting off his mouth! Who does he think he is?"

Truth is...we are all guilty of being just like Peter over and over again. Just as deserving of the words "Get behind me Satan" as he was. Just like Peter, we know that Jesus is the Christ and we understand with growing awareness all that His name means...yet, how often do we (in Jesus' own words in vs. 33) "not set our mind on the things of God, but on the things of man". How often do we question God in a "rebuking" way for His plan and the way it is unfolding in our lives?

Jesus did not call us to "easy living". His plan for us is, most likely, so much more different than our plan is. In fact, if you finish out the rest of Mark 8 Jesus actually says that if anyone wants to be a true follower of Him then he must "deny himself and take up his cross and follow him". He must die to self...to his own passions, desires and plans and live hidden in Christ...resting in His amazing, perfect plan that can be oh so painful but oh so peaceful...and in the words of Ecclesiastes...a plan that is absolutely beautiful in HIS time!

Mark 8 was a beautiful passage to read in the light of this past week...and I am so thankful for God's timing in the reading plan that I am doing to bring me to this chapter at such a time as this!

Thank you for the emails so many of you have sent sending your love and prayers. I am driving down to Portland tomorrow after church to be with my mom and dad. I am so thankful for how the Lord has worked out all the details for me to go and for those the Lord is using to make the trip a reality. I will, Lord willing, leave Tuesday afternoon...a full day after my dad's surgery. His surgery is scheduled for Monday at noon.

My dad commented on my last post...and I wanted to share what he wrote here...just in case you didn't read it in the comments! I know it will bless your heart to see the "state" of my Dad's (and moms)heart in the midst of all of this!

Well, Mom showed me the blog and I've read every word from all of you through eyes that are sobbing from the kind words I don't deserve. Hope, I'm crying, too ... but not because I am worthy of what all of you have said, but because Jesus has convicted, converted, corrected and continues to conform my soul to reflect more of His love and grace than I am able to give you myself. I have failed so many people who have put their hope and trust in me, but Jesus never fails the earthen vessels He uses to bring power and glory to His name. I'm honored to know that the Lord has touched many of you through our lives, and that my ministry in particular has helped so many. That truly is amazing grace!

I know God has a plan and purpose for this trial (that was the risk I took when I chose to preach through 1 Peter). Some of our people said, "Pastor, that's easy for you to say, you haven't been through __________. Well, if I come through this surgery repaired, I pray I can help them continue to find their peace and rest in the Lord; He is my only ROCK during times like these, and yes, Wendy, you are absolutely right, He is even sovereign over the doctors, too!

My surgeon is a humble man of God who loves Jesus and I am privileged to have him be an instrument in the Redeemer's hands. He is one of the nation's leading experts in the field and we talked theology and practical ministry for a half hour yesterday, then we prayed and talked about my case. He also serves as an elder in his church.

Although I expect to come through this surgery and see you all again; there is risk. All the facts have been explained, and I would be lying if I said that my human fears don't assault me now and then. But as the Scripture says, "Faith is the victory that overcomes the world!" Last Sunday's resurrection hope is the only hope we have ... that whether we live or die, there is eternal joy for the believer who belongs to Jesus! The same joy that enabled Jesus to endure the cross is the joy that is taking me through this trial, regardless of the outcome.

Given the trauma I will be experiencing the next month or two, I will not likely be reading or writing anytime soon. Kristin will have to keep you all posted in the near future. I have appreciated her words of wisdom as much as she claims to have learned from mine. God has used all of my kids to help show me my sin and my need to cling to Jesus, my Savior, and I am eternally grateful for their love, patience and kindness toward me all these years. And yes, my beloved wife, Sandy is my best friend and having her by my side is such a blessing!

Thanks again for all your kind words, and your prayers, too!

Resting in Jesus!

Dad

Comments

I just love your reminders of what is true, Kristin! Taking us straight to the Word, and reminding us of who we are, and Who God is, and reminding us of Jesus' words.

Keep writin' sistah...
:0)
Bina said…
Kristin, just read this and your previous post. Prayed for your family--for your father's surgery and healing, for comfort and peace for him and your whole family, and also thanksgiving to God for the obvious legacy of His work in and through your family. Will continue to pray. Love, Bina
For His Glory said…
God I just pray that right now as Bruce is in Surgery that you would be ever present with Kristin and Sandy and with those who couldn't be there but wanted to...Lord you are soveriegn and there is nothing out of your control, NOTHING! May this day be a day that you use to bring about a deeper knowledge of you who are and the depth of your love in the hearts of those who seek You...Thank you that you are there present in that surgery room and that the Doctor's hand's are being guided be providence... Bruce needs this surgery to stay alive and well, but thank you that you have given him the ultimate heart surgery for eternal life, HIS SON! In His Name~Amen!

Praying this day!!! Please, please let us know asap how things went...Thinking of you all.
There is one very important thing that can be said about your dad, Kristin. And that is that he is man of integrity ... living his life by what he believes. His words and his walk match ... they go hand in hand. His lips and tongue do not betray him because he lives his convictions and his belief and love for the Savior he serves. He is a man of humility and displays a servant's heart. I pray the Lord blesses and uses him to reach others for years to come. Love you all.