Building our Homes Part IV


"Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward."
Psalm 127:3

Our children our gifts...and we need to look for ways to show them that we are so thankful for them...we need to let them know that they are our favorite gifts from God after our salvation and our husbands!

Speaking of husbands, my husband illustrated this to our little Titus this past week. He sent him the following email in the middle of the day(to my account...and then I read it to him):

Dear Titus,

I was thinking about you today and praying for you and I wanted to you
to know that I love you and look forward to spending time with you
this afternoon when I come home! See you then
Love Dad


Seems so simple, so "no big deal"...not so. Titus was in tears...he literally sat on my lap and sobbed happy tears. He said that he couldn't believe that Daddy spent time (his exact words were "wasted time"...but I knew what he meant!:) ) to write him and tell him he loved him and that he was thinking about him...that it really blessed his heart.

I was blown away at how far a small gesture went...and so thankful that the Lord has laid it on my hubby's heart to do that once a week for each of the kids.

I was also convicted and encouraged in my spirit that another way I can help show the kids that I see them as a gift and as so very special is by looking them in the eyes when they talk. Sounds simple, huh? But it really isn't. There are so many times that I am in the middle of things when the kids come to share something with me or ask me a question and it is very easy for me to answer them without looking at them even once or listen half halfheartedly while I continue typing or writing or measuring. I realize there are times when I have to "do" other things while they talk...but I am going to be working really hard to stop, look them in the eyes and show them that I am listening with ALL of me when they are sharing with me.

There is a saying that the eyes are the windows into our souls....and, while it may not be a Biblical saying...there is much truth to it. In our children's eyes we can see joy, sadness, rebellion, uncertainty, questioning and so much more. Their eyes often tell what their heart feels. I want to know what their heart feels so that I can shepherd that little heart, by the grace of God. Looking them in the eyes is one way to help with that!

They may be small ways...but, sometimes starting small is the best place to start!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love what you had to say about looking your children in the eye when they are talking to you. That is something I try hard to do as well. You are right, it is NOT easy! Especially at this stage of my life, if I stop in the middle of something I may lose the thought completely! But it is worth the sacrifice.
Michelle P said…
That is so precious about Titus! He is definitely more of a "quality time" type of guy! ;) It's awesome to know they are experiencing the Jesus' love for them through you!
For His Glory said…
YES YES YES! Thank you for the encouragement dear friend! This is soooo true and Frustrating that I fall into this "busy busy mom" mentality and miss the whole point of my business which is to shepherd hearts! Thank you!
Kimberly said…
Thank you so much for this whole series...you have blessed my socks off! I feel like I get two doses of "girltalk" every day :)You are officially my second "girltalk" site.

And that is absolutely precious what your husband wrote Titus and his response...it practically made me cry.

Speaking of Titus and your other children...your series HAS been great and all, but I miss my other kiddos terribly, so a picture or two would do my Aunt heart much good :)

Love you!