Establish the Work of our Hands

"I have set the Lord always before me, because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad and my whole being rejoices." Psalms 15:14

It's a memory verse the kids and I learned months ago...but it came to mind as I read Psalm 90...a psalm that Moses wrote. There are a couple of verses that are in that Psalm that spoke to my heart and God has kept me meditating on them. Verse 12 was a pretty familiar verse to me but one I can't hear enough:

"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You (gain) a heart of wisdom."

We are to evaluate the use of our time in light of the brevity of life (MacArthur Study Bible). We are to live out the truths in Ephesians 5:15-16:

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."

So often, I seek to be "careful how I walk" to set goals, make schedules, menu plan, etc... but my goal is not always to gain a heart of wisdom...my goal is not always Godward...my goal is often "meward". What will make life easier for me? What will make me feel "good" about myself?

Yes, I want to be a "Proverbs 31 woman"...but it must start with "the fear of the Lord". It must start, and stay, with setting the Lord before me....with a desire to gain a heart of wisdom.

Only then can I pray Psalm 90:17:

"Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; and confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands."

MacArthur says it this way,"By God's mercy and grace, one's life can have value, significance, and meaning."

I don't want the "work of my hands" to burn up because they were simply "wood, hay, and straw" instead of "gold, silver, and precious stones" built on the foundation of Jesus Christ Himself (I Cor. 3:10-15). My life has value, significance and meaning not because of anything that I do but because of what Jesus Christ does in and through me...I am just the clay, just a cracked pot that could have easily been used for garbage...but has, instead, been filled with a precious treasure...the Lord Jesus Christ!

O Lord, establish the work of our hands. Gives us hearts of wisdom...hearts that live moment by moment setting You before us, fixing our eyes on You and Your Word, not commending ourselves but looking to You for our approval, commendation and for You to establish our works. For from You and through You and to You are all things. To You be the glory forever! Amen

"For it is not he who commends himself that is approved, but he whom the Lord commends." 2 Cor. 10:18

Comments

a great reminder of how God is the maker of all time...this post brought me to tears and thinking about how I think the time is mine and not Gods. Or thinking if I get everything done these God will be proud..it's not about me...It's about..Col 1:29 For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me...Acts 17:28 for
For His Glory said…
Ahh..I'm not the only one huh? I have been really convicted over this truth lately...God has given us a gift as mothers and wives and that gift is to be treated with care to be sure it goes according to His plans not ours!