I am in labor!


I never thought I would have the words "I am in labor" come out of my mouth again. Those words bring back memories of my labor pains for each of my children.

With Garett, it started with my water breaking (like a flood!) in my in-law's car and then down their driveway as I quickly jumped out of the car!

Micah's came at 33 weeks and I ended up in the hospital and then on bed rest. On October 2nd, we had gone out to celebrate Garett's home-going to Heaven and contractions started coming regularly while we were at the theater watching "Remember the Titans". (Yep...we finished the movie before heading to the hospital!)

Grace was induced, as was Faith. Titus ended up being a c-section after a night of labor.

With each, the labor was different. All involved pain to one degree or another. Garett's brought as much pain to my heart as it did to my body...knowing each contraction was one minute closer to his death. There was a tinge of uncertainty and "unknown" in my delivery of Micah. There was still the possibility that he was Down Syndrome...a possibility that was not laid to rest till after he was born. Grace's delivery was relatively calm...I enjoyed my epidural immensely. Of course, the fact that she was born such a peanut (6 lb. 3 oz.) was helpful as well. Faith's arrival into the world was the most pain I had ever felt in my life and it brought tears, groans and an intense desire to do whatever it took to GET HER OUT (all 8 lbs. 11 oz.)! I even cut her umbilical cord myself!:) Titus brought a night full of pain but no progress...and I had more pain after his birth as I recovered from a c-section. Samuel and Caleb...their "birth" into our family was brought on after much "heart labor"...they were truly the longest labor of all!

And I think that Samuel and Caleb's "labor" is a bit more along the lines of what Paul had in mind when he penned Galatians 4:19 and reminded me that I am STILL in labor:

"My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you..."

What a verse for mommies to treasure and ponder in their heart, huh?! We know the pain of labor...the ebb and flow...the times of pressure and the times of pain so intense it makes us see spots...to have something take over our body that we have absolutely no control over and must trust God's plan (the work He is doing) amidst the pain... knowing that the pain is producing something so beautiful and precious...a little one to hold in our arms!

How true when it comes to the salvation of our children's souls?! Salvation is a work of the Lord...yet we are called to teach, to train, to admonish, to correct, to spank...to use the Word of God in our everyday talk in such a way that our conversations point our kids to Him and lift His name on high! It's a season of labor...the pain of our kids sinful choices is real to our own hearts and I know that we have all lifted up words that sound more like groans to the Throne of God on behalf of our children. How often my kids point me to Jesus...the One who is in control of all things...when their actions and attitudes seem to be spinning out of control and the only thing that I can do is trust the promises of God...His plan...and faithfully fulfill the role He has called me to in their lives...all the while praying that part of His plan is the salvation of their souls...that Christ would be formed in them...and that they would be a lover of Christ above all else!

So, ladies, we are still in labor...let's not forget it! May the days of pain point us to our Savior and may our "breathing technique" be one of continual breaths of prayer to our Lord. As we begin to realize more and more that, ultimately, our lives and our families are "out of our control", may we remember that NOTHING is out of the control of our Sovereign God. And when the labor pains are bringing us to the point of exhaustion may our strength be renewed by the inter-venous flow, not of drugs, but of the Word of God!

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9

"Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face continually." Psalms 105:4

Comments

For His Glory said…
Wow that was really beautiful how you explained that Kristin...Such a clear picture of what is really going on in this season of Child-rearing...Which to me is so crucial that we moms are the ones staying faithful to the calling and not handing our "role" over to another...
Anonymous said…
Great analogy! Actually, isn't the Bible wonderful to teach us using things we can relate to. :-)

I always enjoy your sharing how the Lord is working His righteousness into your everyday life. Thanks!

Can you share with me your kids favorite Seed Family Worship albums? We have Seed of Faith and like that, but I am needing some recommendations. :-)
Precious, thought-provoking words. No matter the age of our children, the labor pains continue to come and we must never, ever neglect to lift them up in prayer. And then we have the privilege of praying for our grandchildren. The peace of knowing we can petition Him and that He is in control is the glue that holds me together.
Unknown said…
Well, you did it again....I've not visited in a while and decided that I would hop on over and see just wise words you would have for me today. God is SO GOOD!
Just last night we were with our home group and it was mentioned that while we had the most number of children -5 - it didn't "really count" because I'd not "birthed" them all. To which I promptly replied, "Oh, YES I did!" and I AM still in labor 2 years later! These are wise words my Sister. To continually be pointed back to the Source of our relief, strength and courage during this season is always welcome. So thank you for the timely and perfect connection.
Wow... SO well written! Wonderful, and true. Thanks again, Kristin, for good reminders and encouragement using the Word of God.