Picking at the Strawberry Patch


Yesterday we were invited to go strawberry picking with some friends from church! What fun it was and what a great job my kiddos did at picking the "right" strawberries! They also enjoyed the petting zoo and a yummy shake (thanks Grandma Millard!).


I have to be honest, as I picked, I couldn't help but get excited at having extra strawberries in my freezer to make this new, yummy fruit salsa that we had for Father's Day. I got the recipe off of Girltalk...but here it is (trust me, you will want to print this off and "wow" your own family and friends!I can't tell you just how yummy it is!):

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

3 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and diced
12 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor

10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
Melted butter
1 2/3 cups cinnamon sugar (1 1/3 cups sugar and 1/3 cup cinnamon)

Directions
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Granny Smith apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush one side of each flour tortilla with melted butter. Sprinkle buttered side with cinnamon sugar mixture. Then cut into wedges (with pizza cutter) and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

Comments

For His Glory said…
How stinking summery was that!? Strawberry picking, what a blast! ANd that recipe looks like the BOMB!
Wish I could just reach into the computer screen and snatch a few of those beautiful, red strawberries ... and give the kids some Nanny hugs & kisses! See you're still wearing hooded sweatshirts. Do you think you'll ever get warm weather?
Jen L said…
Thanks for the recipe. It's always good to get something new to share at picnics and such. It must be cold in Canada in July?
Chrissy said…
Umm My dear sister-in-law I have been making that salsa for years( it is sooo yummy!!) I remember telling you about it, and you saying it sounded "interesting" :/ Glad you finally gave it a try, even if it was not because of my suggestion =)