Some are silver and some are gold...


"Make new friends but keep the old" goes for books as well as friends. "Some are silver and some are gold."

That was the first sentence in an article I read in "World Magazine" and I coulnd't agree more. In fact, this past month, I have been rereading a couple of parenting books that I had not read for a while and it has been pure gold! I have come to realize that just like I love reading through the Bible each year...seeking to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind"...that there are some wonderful books that should be on my list of "read this every year" books!

My all time favorite parenting book (for any age kid) is "Everday Talk" by John Younts. And, as I have spent the past week rereading it...I am blown away with how much I have forgotten, how much I have ceased to put into practice and how much I can benefit from reading this book each year! Each chapter is full of God's truth, godly council and practical advice...here's a few quotes to whet you appetite and add this book to your summer reading list too, :):

"Your instruction of God's Word should be given as joyfully and carefully as if you were presenting your kids with the finest jewlery to wear. Your teaching, if heeded, will make them attractive, just as fine jewlery would. Don't just throw God's Word at them. Present it with love and care."

"Does your everday talk center upon grace or performance? Are you able to delight in your children simply because God gave them to you and you love them? Or must your children behave in a way that pleases you before you can delight in them?"

"We tend to have active mouths, but not active ears." (in regards to communicating with our kids)

"Remember, the basic issue in obedience is willing submission. Unwilling, grudging compliance is not godly obedience. Cooperation based on negotiation and mutual advantage is also not obedience. Biblical obedience is willing submission to authority."

"Pleasant words promote instruction."

"Parents, when you give into anger, resentment or self-pity at your children's bad behaviour, you make yourself at the center of the problem. You are loving yourself first and most....they need to see that their first problem is with God, and only secondarily with you."

Comments

Michelle Hamm said…
Started this book, lately. I am taking it to Poland. Have a great "holiday at the sea". See you when we get back from Poland.
Wow...Great last quote. Convicting!

Well!...I still have Everyday Talk (unread) on my shelf!---though I do intend to read it someday!! :0) But I totally agree w/ you on the rereading of some books: Even though I am currently going through "Instructing a Child's Heart" (at a snail's pace), the other night I made the mistake of picking up "Shepherding a Child's Heart"...and couldn't put it down!! I am definitely rereading chapers of it now. Another good one to reread throughout our parenting years!
For His Glory said…
Um yea this one did it for me...(at least for this particular week~hee hee)

Parents, when you give into anger, resentment or self-pity at your children's bad behaviour, you make yourself at the center of the problem. You are loving yourself first and most....they need to see that their first problem is with God, and only secondarily with you."