It's that time again...


The first day of school always comes so fast and always comes in a way that leaves me reminding myself that "the heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps"(Proverbs 16:9). It usually leaves me feeling as though there is no way I can do another year of it...which takes me quickly to the Throne of Grace to find mercy and grace to help in time of need(Hebrews 4:16)...and that is exactly where I need to be!

I felt like I was as prepared as I could be...this week is more about learning about the new computer system we are using and helping the kids to feel comfortable with the style and new approach of their schoolwork. It was supposed to be a layed back week. I even read the first few chapters last night of "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quite Spirit" (I'll finish it up this week) to be reminded again of the HEART that God want's me to have! I was ready to go!:)

Hands were washed, computers were turned on and the kids were ready to begin...if only they had actual lessons to do. Somewhere along the way, I had forgotten my brother's instructions, assumed it would just "pop up" and was completely baffled when it didn't! I was somewhere between laughing because God's plans are so often different from my plans, praying for a cheerful heart and attitude and wanting to throw up my hands and just say "forget it"!!! Two hours later and a phone call into the SOS technician and we were up and running!

It is going to take a full week to get settled into a new routine and learn the curriculum and how it operates...I kept telling the kids that today is the hardest day...it will get easier! They love being on a computer and the animation that comes with their lessons...and Micah as high hopes of enjoying learning French! Titus and Caleb were just plain cute and while Samuel's reading ability will keep me close to his "desk" but I am praying that, eventually, there will be more freedom for them and for myself!
When it comes to writing posts about home schooling, I walk a fine line in showing weariness or an overwhelmed attitude...there are many who would say I am crazy, it's my own choice and so I need to deal with the ramifications or just put the kids in school...and, to be honest, they are right. We both truly feel that God has called us to a season of homeschooling...but it is still a choice that we have made. So, please know that if I ever share an attitude of frustration or irritation or just absolute exhaustion...it's in a desire to be authentic about life...sin and all! There is not a superwoman cape that I keep tucked beneath my clothes.:) But I am also learning that life is hard...not bad, but hard...God uses trials to grow us and stretch us! Sure, He does lead us by green pastures and streams of water but those often do not look like the green pastures and quiet waters we have dreamed up in our mind...and the road in getting to them is often rugged and difficult! Joy is not found simply in "the journey" it's found when we have eyes fixed on HIM in the journey!!

With that said, if you have not started your school year yet...may I give you a few tips (for home school or for life in general!):

1)MAKE SURE YOU DRINK THAT CUP OF COFFEE!!!:)
2)Assume it will not go as you planned but it will go exactly how the Lord wants it to!
3)Kiss your husband...it's one of the sweetest moments of the morning!
4)Pray (often) with your kids, for your kids and for yourself to your kids...they need to see just how weak you are so they can see just how BIG God is!!!
5)Find reasons to laugh and smile..it's super contagious!:)
6)Feed your soul...you need His Word way more than even that cup of coffee I mentioned!

I am hoping that with being back into a "school schedule", my writing will become a comfortable part of that routine...I still have my sticky notes of things I want to share but just haven't yet!:) As C J Mahaney once said, "Only God gets his to-do list done each day. We are not God. We are finite creatures with serious limitations."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Loved your list of tips! I haven't begun school yet, but don't you just feel (towards the end of summer) that you need to get back into that schedule? My girls are having a hard time finding good activities to keep them occupied so it must be time for school!
Paul said…
Loved your post Kristin. Miss you guys immensely. See ya soon Lord willing!!