Old and New


I often refer back to Deuteronomy 6:5-9 so that my heart can be reminded about the calling God has placed upon my life as a mother to my children:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."


This past week, I found a "parallel" New Testament passage that excited my heart and encouraged my spirit in the calling God has given me! 2 Timothy 3:14-16:

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."


I think we are all familiar with verse 16...but verses 14 and 15 got me so excited! Our job is to continually "acquaint" our kids with the Word of God...because God uses His Word to save His people and our job is to help lay that foundation of them becoming wise in the Word of God! And the Word of God is profitable for every single situation we encounter with our kids...so, in the end, we are not only "acquainting" our kids with God's Word...His Word will actually become a dear friend...one in which they not only learn but "firmly believe". It is just so amazing that we have been given such a high calling...we are like modern day John the Baptists' for our kids!!!! WOW!!!! (and I am putting all the exclamation points because it is so easy for me to bemoan the hard work of this high calling instead of REJOICE in it!!!!)

I was also thinking what a dear encouragement this passage is for moms who are saved but their hubbies are not...or single moms...or moms with husbands that are gone a lot or not the spiritual leaders that they need to be...or grandmas that are a big part of their grand kid's lives. Timothy was taught all these things by his grandmother and mother. He didn't grow up in a "perfect" family. In fact, it's just like God to show that He isn't looking for perfect families and that He can bless mightily even in the midst of a family structure that is far from "ideal"; Because He blesses faithfulness...He blesses hearts that love Him above all else and proclaim His name...He blesses those moms and grandmas that teach their dear children and grandchildren the precious truths of God's Word, in season and out of season, with help or without it. And He is glorified and made much of as we sit and watch His sovereign hand in our kids lives! Who knows, you may very well be raising the next Timothy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
As usual - LOVE your thoughts. Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you. I too love those Deut. verses and remind myself of them often when I am growing weary in the training!

I am so glad you had a fun trip to see family and friends.

Thanks for your prayers for our adoption situation. Only God knows!
For His Glory said…
I love how God pointed out in scripture Lois and Eunice...What a precious encouragement to those with unbelieving spouses like you shared!