Parenting Confession


I am thankful for how the Lord so often uses my relationship with Him to help me in my relationship with my kids...or, to put it another way, to gain a greater perspective!

There are times where I can be busy "doing" things for the Lord...good things, Biblical things...but not really enjoying the Lord. The watching world would say that I was putting the Lord first, but inwardly, He has taken second place under the priority "duty". Instead of being caught up in a love relationship with Jesus, I am caught up in all that I should be "doing"...forgetting that God's chief concern is that I love Him with all that I am...that I desire Him above all else...that He would be my life and the length of my days!!! That I would live with sheer rapture and delight in my engagement to the King of Kings. Though it should never be, it's often so much easier to be a Pharisee than to bask in the light of my Savior, my Redeemer, my Love. Praise God for His forgiveness and open arms!

It can be the same way with my kids...in fact, if I am being really transparent, it is OFTEN that way. I am so busy doing things for them...good things...things that need to be done like cooking and cleaning and teaching and instructing...that I am not really enjoying them. Not really delighting in them. Not really treasuring them as I ought to.

Micah informed me last week that he is halfway to college! He's actually more than half way and as I thought about that I found myself crying out, "Oh Lord, teach me to number my days that I might gain a heart of wisdom." Lord, help me to be "careful how I walk not as unwise but as wise making the best use of the time". Time is fleeting, life is a vapor...I am learning that more and more with each passing day.

And I am also learning more and more what it means to truly be "in love" with Jesus and, as a result, what it means to "love my children" as Titus 2 tells me to! And I am so thankful that, just like Jesus, my kids are full of forgiveness and keep their arms open wide for this woman that they call mom! God's mercy and grace is truly amazing!

Comments

this was a great reminder right before school starts, when time gets squeezed even more. This leaves me with asking myself how have I been showing love to my own children.
This came to my mind after your post: " Are you able to delight in your children simply because God gave them to you and you love them? Or must your children behave in a way that pleases you before you can delight in them?" (Everyday Talk, by John A. Younts)
Ouch!! I need to bath this in pray, because I know I do this.
It is so good to "find" you Kristin! Charisma told me you had a blog and with a little divine help from Google...here I am!

What an awesome, awesome post. I just wrapped up a study on the benefits of being a child of God out of Isaiah, and saw that two of our benefits/rewards that God gives for us to find satisfaction in Him and to enjoy His presence.

Love how you applied it to motherhood. I too get caught up in the doing of good, biblical things that I let time escape without enjoying them and their sweet presence in my life! Thanks for the reminder today!

I can't wait to read up on where you and Bryan are and what God has you doing for Him!

Your family is beautiful!!!

Love, O'Nealya
Ruth said…
Thanks Kristin...I was just thinking about the fact that I do sometimes look at my "quiet time" as a "duty" and not a "joy to spend time with my Savior & Lord!"

One other side note...you truly don't enjoy your children (I think) until the are "adults." Not that you can't enjoy them as children...but there is such a special bond between grown children and parents! I'm sure you can see this with your own parents! Isn't it amazing that as we "mature" our parents seem to be smarter, wiser, and more fun?! :D

Love ya!
For His Glory said…
I loved what "ruth" shared, I read this once, that you really don't have the fullness of enjoyment with your children until they are older because they literally ARE work!! I believe we will finally get to a point where we will get to ENJOY the fruit of our labor, when they are older and we are through laboring in raising them. But then on the other hand I long for that enjoyment now like you shared, where I need to "slow" the heck down and ask "what is more important right now? These dishes or sitting down to play with children...The sacrifices that are made now will give us that enjoyment we long for later...I find myself in and out of enjoying them. When my heart is walking in the spirit I enjoy my job, when I am in the flesh, it is like you said, a DUTY! It's just that lovely battle that we fight...kinda like with our husbands too I guess, days I enjoy him most are when I am not focused on me, but rather on Christ, days when I am not enjoying him are when I am focised on ME! boy these are good thoughts as we apraoch schooling :)