Shades of Blue


I am not one to recommend fiction books....there are so many good books that spur us on to godly living...that those ones seem much more worth writing about and recommending. And, I will still say that if reading is a struggle for you and you'd rather be doing just about anything but sit down with a book...don't even bother to pick up this book...it would be much better for you to "dig into" a book packed with spiritual truths that will help you to walk wisely in the fear of the Lord than the fiction book I am about to recommend.

Okay...with that disclaimer in place...I read a precious book a couple of weeks ago called "Shades of Blue" by Karen Kingsbury. Through a story, the theme of the book was about abortion and the affect it has on those who have them. It brought me to tears and to a deeper level of compassion and care for those who carry the weight of that past choice (and, I have a feeling that cases like that are much more common than are ever shared...maybe over fear that we will reject them or not love them with Christ's love or that they will be forever "tainted" in our eyes...I can't help but wonder how many of our past sins lay buried under layers of fear and guilt over what others would think if they found out...forgetting that God works ALL things together for our good and can use us as instruments of His grace and love to others because of what He has brought us through).

I tend to be a black and white gal (often that makes me a Pharisee, sadly!) who can be quick to see the sin and not care about the sinner or even begin to imagine how that sin has affected their lives. I know from my own life, just how painful the consequences of my sin can be...but often, I don't take the time to see life through the eyes of someone who is facing the consequences of their sin...in the case of this story...aborted their baby or had a hand in helping a girl make those decisions.

This book helped give me those eyes...and I am so thankful that the Lord laid it on Karen's heart to write a book about such a painful subject. If you chose to pick it up at the library or bookstore...don't forget to read her letter at the end of the book. I am thankful that she chose to allow choices she made in her past encourage others in Jesus today!

Comments

Juli said…
Thanks for the recommendation. If you want another eye opening book, I recommend 19 Minutes by Jodi Piccoult. It's not a Christian fiction book, but it did open my eyes. The basic plot centers around a school shooting spree. It made me stop and think about the fact that a perpetrator (sp?) has a mom too and to what the family of the perpetrator goes through.
Karen Kingsbury is a phenominal author. I've read ALL her books. They are fantastic. Best author ever ... and always from a Christian perspective with a solid message.
For His Glory said…
Wow...That sounds like a precious book...I have many friends who have this trauma in their past and would love to give each one of them a copy (based on your review)...Thanks for sharing.
Kristen, can I just say I ADORE you on so many levels!! You are such a precious lady - your heart just shines through each and every post! I have read many of her books over the years and I am sure she approaches this subject with grace, forgiveness and Godlyness. I am going to add it to my list of books to read for sure!

As much as I love summer and all the wonderful things we get to enjoy - I can't wait 'till fall when routines creep back in and women's bible studies begin again! You are such a blessing to me - thank you for your wonderful, Christ filled and overflowing heart!! <3
I love your new google search application. I typed in "shades of blue" to see if the book I'm reading is the one you had blogged about. :)I just got this book from our church library and am half way thorugh with it, and WOW, do I totally agree. And I seriously need tissues near by while reading it :). It is precious though, and gives great insight. I'm VERY eager to see how it ends...Love you!