"What age will be easier?


That is the question my dear daughter Faith posed to me today. She prefaced it with, "Mom, you won't hurt my feelings if you say an older age but...what age will be easier for you and you'll be less tired and stuff? When I am 11?"

I was somewhere between smiling, crying, and thinking I had better get my thyroid checked :)... as I hugged her tight and told her that every age is easy and hard. Every age has great things and tough things about it...just like the seasons of our lives. But I loved her just the way she was, at just the age she was and I was so thankful for the gift that she is!...and, then, as she walked away, I started thinking...

Don't we all do that about life...we assume the "next season" of life will get easier. We assume the silver lining is coming sometime soon. We wait expectantly for summer break or Christmas break or vacation or you fill in the blank...because then it will get "easier" or more relaxing. But, often it's not easier and often the silver lining is actually the top of a new mountain to be climbed...and we feel discouraged, tired and lacking the joy that is so much apart of the Christian life!

At the root of it all though is where we have placed our hope. We have placed it in things and people that are guaranteed to disappoint us (even our most favorite people!). We have placed our hope upon seasons of change when we so desperately need to place it upon what doesn't change! God alone must be the the source of our hope. The Object of our trust. The Center of our lives upon which everything else revolves around!

I have spent most of my post using words like "we and our"...maybe this isn't a struggle for you...but it's one that the Lord has certainly been growing me in these past few years! I am so thankful that "The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." Psalm 145:8 And I am so glad that He has given us His precious words to daily remind us:

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
Romans 15:4

"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." Psalm 43:5

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." Romans 15:13

Comments

Paul said…
Oh sis! How I love your heart and your perspective that God brings you... He certainly is using your voice to bring Him glory and to let His saints praise Him. I am praising Him tonight for your words in this post. They are exactly where God has been placing me, what's been in my heart, and my sinful reactions (all around looking for the "silver lining" thinking things will be easier). That's just me trying to BE GOD rather than letting God be God and enjoying Him! This is on my lips tonight.
Paul said…
Oh, nice new "spring" theme you got going (???) but the white fonts all over your page are really difficult to read and find :-) That's just some loving critique. ha ha
Awe, your daughter is just SO precious ( as all your sweet children are !! ) I don't know why but this little snippet of conversation between you two just melted my heart.

I can totally relate to this post. I think more so right now because my wonderful husband shared with me, just a few short months ago, that this was a HUGE realization for him. He realized he was living his life for the "big prize" at the END .. maybe when he retired or something? I am not sure he was even sure but just that it was down the road not NOW. That next season, next stage in our family's life together .. when life get's easier ( whatever that means LOL )

It has really changed how he looks at life now, today, and the renewed thankfulness in all that the Lord has for us in THIS season, THIS situation, THIS day!

Hugs to you my friend!
Kristin, that was so good. thanks for writing!! and wow---How about that question that Faith posed to you...

but I just loved what you wrote, and it's so true (I can totally relate). Good stuff to think about, and thanks for the Scripture verses you included. I might have to take my next few memory verses from this post!

thanks!
For His Glory said…
Yes! I often think of how we seem to always think the "next season" will be easier...I think God is really teaching me too, that LIFE will Never be what I think it should be or what it should look like! Which I am ulimately okay with because I know HIS ways ARE way better than mine...I love how God gives us what we need when we need it though :)