Halloween


I knew just the title would make you wonder what I was going to write about this subject!:) Actually, I am going to let someone else write for me as I believe her article was better than anything I could have said and at the "heart" of the issue! You can read the article in "color" by clicking HERE or you can just read it below! Happy reading and praying!

October 31 . . . A Matter of Prayer

As a child growing up in a Roman Catholic family during the 1960s, we celebrated Halloween. That is to say, on October 31, we cobbled together homemade costumes of sad hobos, friendly ghosts, and fierce pirates so we could run from one house to another shouting “Trick or Treat!” as we gathered lots of candy.

I remember trading the less desirable pieces (peanut butter chews wrapped in orange or black waxed paper, homemade popcorn balls, and boring plain suckers) for something more exciting, like Smarties or Peanut Butter Logs or Tootsie Rolls with my trusting younger brothers. I always spent hours sorting my candy that night and always saved the best for last . . . some years my sweets stash lasted until the next autumn, hidden away on the top shelf of my closet. It was just a fun and innocent day in October, and I remember being sad when as a 7th grader, I deemed myself “too old” to go trick or treating anymore.

After I came to faith, after Bob and I were married and began having babies in the 1980s, I saw things differently. Now I could see that, perhaps, there was a darker side to Halloween—an evil aspect, even satanic overtones and influences. We decided that we would not celebrate this day. That our children would not go door to door. That if we happened to be home, we would turn off all the lights “that night,” and stay busy in the back of the house. We went to many “Hallelujah Fests,” Fall Family Fun nights, and Reformation celebrations—all of which were very much enjoyed by our game-playing, candy-eating, Bible-costumed children.

Tonight at dinner, we said to our youngest, David, “Do you wish you'd been allowed to go trick or treating as a child?” He responded that it didn't bother him at the time, but looking back, he thinks it might have been fun. (This child of ours likes to create costumes and craves candy, even at the age of 16.) I haven't asked, but I imagine our other children would agree with him. (Not that I'm suggesting that children set the standards for the family.)

And now I wonder . . . would we do things differently, if we had it to do over? Maybe. Our children do have fond memories of our October 31 family outings, but could we have—should we have—not for the sake of our children, necessarily, done something to engage those who knocked at the door of our well-lit house? Should we have handed out winsomely written gospel tracts with our candy? Could we have served hot cider for the adults as they supervised their children's fun? Maybe it would have been wise to walk the neighborhood with our kids in order to interact with those who live nearby?

So, what do you think? What will your family do this October 31st? Many Christians see Halloween as an evening of harmless fun for their children--a day for make believe and candy and a “Romans 14” issue. Others have strong personal convictions that it is wrong to acknowledge Halloween in any way. There is a very real, unseen evil presence in our world, and their view is that we should have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them (Eph. 5:11).

What you choose to do is a decision for moms and dads to prayerfully consider. And whatever you decide, be humble, charitable and gracious with sisters and brothers who come to a different conclusion than yours. By God's grace, we're all learning, processing, and growing, in many different ways--including this area of costumes and candy. -Mary Ann Lepine

Comments

That was good. Seeking God in prayer about these things. Its funny how I forget to pray about these things. Thank you
Jen L said…
Last Year, we went around our neighborhood and did a backwards trick or treat. Our kids still dressed up and had fun, but instead of getting candy, we gave it along the way, even going up to houses and giving candy, tracks, info about our church, and light up necklaces (to light the night with Jesus). People were very surprised and questioned that we were giving away candy to the houses. We said we were lighting up the night for Jesus. It was great fun and very well received!
Clark Family said…
Thanks for the article! Here is another: http://betweenthetimes.com/2010/09/28/why-all-good-christians-should-celebrate-halloween/ He is more adamant than I would be against church alternatives. My in-laws live in a rural area where many houses are too far apart to trick-or-treat so many unchurched kids do attend their "Light Night." But I like his approach. When we moved to our current house, we dedicated ourselves to being a light to the neighborhood. God was gracious in giving us many Christian neighbors who have the same goal. We took the opportunity last Halloween to visit as many houses as we could to at least become familiar with who lives here. Part of the time we walked with another mom and her son--a great time for the moms to get to know each other.
Unknown said…
I've missed visiting with you Kristin...once again I am thoughtful at your posts.
My birthday falls on Halloween and has mostly been celebrated just as your author states she did as a child. On my 30th birthday we gathered the neighborhood kids together to carve 30 pumpkins for our front lawn. There is something magical about the 'lantern' light that is produced from this large orange ball. We have always saught to find and create costumes that were of literary characters or somehow "wholesome" in nature disallowing masks and and any make-up beyond whiskers or a red nose. Last year when our kiddos were newly home we decided that Halloween wouldn't be. It was mom's birthday and that was all. It was too much to explain and too many issues to introduce. This year we are diving in. Trick-or-treating for the first time in several years and honestly I'm a little nervous. I am not afraid of the evil content - Jesus conquered that for us - I am concerned however for the gore and frighteningly greusome displays that people have bought into and allow for their children. Who honestly thinks it's a good idea for their children to "pretend" to be an axe murderer? And the blood and gore that my children will witness on other children and in other yards is a more than a little disconcerting. Aren't we teaching love and kindness to our children? Why are we going trick-or-treating? It's SUPPOSED to be good 'innocent' fun - just like it was when I was a girl. Can't it still be that way? Just asking....
(I had no idea I had so much to say. I guess I've got a blog post of my own....thanks for reading:)