Stained Carpet


I was vacuuming the house, just now, getting ready for our Bible Study's Christmas party tonight and feeling very frustrated. We rent a very lovely home for which I am SO grateful for...but we have some very unattractive light pink carpet. But it wasn't the color of the carpet that was bothering me as much as it was all the stains.

I LOVE having a clean home...but no matter how much I vacuum over those stains they just don't come up...because they are stains...they have "soiled" the very fabric of the carpet. I found myself starting to grumble and complain (who in their right mind puts carpet in their dining room anyway?!:)) and the Lord convicted my heart. He quickly brought to mind that MY heart is not very different from the carpet. No matter how much I might try to "vacuum up" the "dirt" (sin) of my heart, on my own I cannot make my heart pure and clean. Sin has stained and darkened my heart to the point of no return.

BUT GOD! I love it when Scripture says those two words...because it changes EVERYTHING! God alone can make my heart pure and clean. God alone can make my black heart as white as snow (Psalm 51:7). I Corinthians 6:11 says, "...but you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

As I go back to vacuuming and getting things ready...this time, it is with a heart full of thankfulness. Every time I vacuum over another "spot", it's a beautiful reminder of what Jesus Christ did on my behalf...a reminder of the Gospel...a reminder of why we are even having this Christmas party...the Savior has been born!!!

Comments

What a beautiful reminder! We have plenty of spots on our carpet as well, but I will never look at them the same way again. :)