Coram Deo


Coram Deo...two Latin words that I have heard before and read before...but, after being reminded about them by Pastor Fred in Sunday School the last couple of weeks, I am actually meditating on them now.

Coram Deo...these two words put together mean "before the face of God". R.C. Sproul says the following about this duo:

"This phrase literally refers to something that takes place in the presence of, or before the face of, God. To live coram Deo is to live one’s entire life in the presence of God, under the authority of God, to the glory of God.

To live in the presence of God is to understand that whatever we are doing and wherever we are doing it, we are acting under the gaze of God. God is omnipresent. There is no place so remote that we can escape His penetrating gaze."


These two words hold all the precious promises of Psalm 139:1-6:

"O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it."

....and all the weight of Hebrews 4:13:

"And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account".

Coram Deo...they are words that I pray echo through my soul and that the reality of the "gaze of God" upon each thought, word, and action of mine would drive me toward a deeper pursuit of Christlikeness a little more each day till glory.

I think I have words for a new wall hanging in my house, how about you?!:)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmmmm.... A coffee and craft night with the M&M ladies??That would be fun!!!

Pam Radke
linkchips said…
If you find one, let me know, i'd love one too!