Gazing on God


As I have been meditating on the beauty of "Coram Deo" and the "gaze of God" upon my life as R.C. Sproul put it, I am reminded that just as His gaze is on me, my gaze should be steadfastly upon HIM!

"One thing I have asked of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple." Psalm 27:4


I read about several women from the 1500's (who were burned at the stake) in "Girls Gone Wise In A World Gone Wild" (highly recommend it!) who's gazes were steadfastly on the Lord and who's dying words are ones that I can only pray would be the cry of my heart in life and death. Here is an excerpt from the book:

"When the sheriff put the rope around Ann Audeber, she called it the wedding-sash wherewith she would be married to Christ. With joy on her face she exclaimed, "Upon a Saturday I was first married, and upon a Saturday I shall be married again." Or Elizabeth Pepper and Agnes George, who kissed and embraced the stake before they were burned. Or Elizabeth Folkes, who shouted, "Farewell all the world! Farewell faith! Farewell hope!" and taking the stake in her arms joyfully exclaimed, "Welcome love!" With fire licking her consuming flesh, she clapped her hands for joy and raised her arms in exuberant praise."

Comments