Be Silent


"The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent." Exodus 14:14

I read that verse last week and thought, "What a neat verse". This week, some financial circumstances (good ol' government!) arose that made me have to live out that verse and my thoughts have moved way beyond "neat" when I think of that verse. That verse brings hope, that verse brings comfort, that verse is a precious promise that commands a heart of trust!

After Moses said those words, the Israelites watched as the Red Sea turned into two huge walls of water with a path for them to safely go through and for the Egyptians to end up drowned in. This week, I did not see the waters part but I saw God work on our behalf, saw Him use others to help in a "battle" that looked bleak, I saw God fight for us and it was all done while we were silent. Silently dependent, that is.

There are times God call us to fight, to take action, to be deliberate. And there are times that He calls us or places us in situations where we have no choice but to simply stand, watch, and pray. When the only thing He calls us to do is to be silent: not to fret (I didn't do that one too well), not to scheme, not to despair, and not to be afraid but to "stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord" (Exodus 14:13).

The Red Sea may not have parted today...but it might as well have!

"Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?" Exodus 15:11

Comments