Moms: The watchmen of the home


"She looks well to the way of her family..." Proverbs 31:27

Mary Somerville in her book "One with a Shepherd" says this about that verse:

"The Hebrew word for "looks well" is the one used of a watchmen who guards a city from enemy assault. Just as you would not want a watchman to come on duty tired and strained from another job, you do not want the watchman of your home expending all her effort and energy on other pursuits and giving her leftover attention to her family."

What a great picture for our minds, huh?

I can't help but wonder how many times when I am completely exhausted and just trying to "survive" it's because I have poured too much energy and effort into selfish pursuits, or even good pursuits, that are not what God has called me to in this season of life, or this week, day, or hour?! I like to blame it on low iron...but I have a feeling that just might not be the only culprit! :) Of course, as you are reading this, you are probably thinking, "Hello Girl! Maybe it has something to do with the six kids you have!!!" :) But, here is what Mary goes on to say:

"Yet even the responsibilities we have in fulfilling just these few essentials ( our own character, our husbands, our home, and our specific area of spiritual giftedness) could appear terribly daunting. That is because it is impossible to do this in our own strength. Fortunately, we have God's promise that He will enable us. Aren't you thankful that you have God's grace, not only to survive, but also to thrive in your role? He called you to it, and He will enable you for it. This is the promise: "God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed" (2 Cor. 9:8)."

"Survival Mode" may very well be God's call for our lives right now (I think of a friend who just had a new baby and is facing sleepless nights and my sister, who is still fighting daily nausea in her 4th month of pregnancy), it might very well be related to a medical condition or, just maybe, it might be because we are pursuing more than we should. Whichever it may be, Proverbs 31:27 gives all of us a reason to pause and ask the Lord if we are being the best "watchmen" we can be!

Comments

Kimberly said…
Wow! Could you have posted a more perfect blog for my heart today??? I think not! I will have to be getting that book!

I couldn't write in one comment all I have been feeling these past few days, but feeling like I have been in "survival mode" is definitely at the top of my list, and to be honest, I have been feeling like it is a sinful place to be, but maybe you are right! Maybe that is exactely where God wants me to be. And He wants to see what means I am going to use to survive.

Hmmm...I feel my own post coming along. Anyways...thank you for those quotes and encouragement!! It is just what I needed! Love you!