Learning Lessons


The Lord has been using this tooth pain to teach me lessons. He has given me a new sympathy and understanding for those who deal with chronic pain. Through a molar, He has helped me to better be able to share in the sufferings of others. In that regards, this pain has been a gift!

He has reminded me that even small things can wreak havoc...much like James says our tongue can....and much like "little sins" that we try to ignore can damage our walk with Christ in big ways.

He has used the pain to humble me. It's hard to feel self-sufficient when I have a pain that will not go away...it's hard to feel like everything is "under-control" when the pain is out of my control. It's hard to feel strong when I feel weak. And that is exactly where God wants me (2 Cor. 12:10). Weak...because He gets all the glory. He gets all the glory when the Advil and Tylenol work. He gets all the glory when I sleep through the night. He gets all the glory when I am able to smile and press on. He gets all the glory when I don't snap at the kids (although, He has also been getting a lot of repenting in that department as well this past week!). He gets all the glory when I get some helpful advice!

Why does He get the glory? Because my eyes are fixed on Him! "Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Maker of Heaven and Earth" (and my teeth!)Psalm 12:1-2. Don't get me wrong, I am not against modern medicine. I have an appt. with a dentist next week and am well aware that my roots might be getting a visit soon...but I am just as aware that even my tooth is in His hands!

This post might seem a little "out there" to you. Maybe I seem a bit dramatic for your liking!:) But I think we all have a "tooth" in our lives that the Lord is using to remind us that our sufficiency, our hope, our strength, and even our very breath comes from Him. Maybe your "tooth" is a rebellious child, maybe it's a husband who seems anything but passionate about the things of Christ, maybe it's a bunch of unexpected bills, maybe dreams you had and plans you were making have come crashing down, maybe it is physical pain or sickness. And God is asking, "Do you trust Me?(Proverbs 3:5-6) Do you truly believe that I am good?(Psalm 16:2) Will you choose joy in the midst of your trial?(James 1:2) Will you put your hope in Me and not the situation?"

I pray we all can say yes, yes, yes and yes!!!

"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." Psalm 42:11

Comments