You Never Stop Being a Parent


That is the title of a book I just finished reading by Jim Newheiser and Elyse Fitzpatrick. The premise of the book is all about "thriving in relationship with your adult children". I know, I know...I don't have adult children so what am I wasting my time for with the book?!!!

But I got done feeling like I had done anything but waste my time! Truth is, I can hardly remember what it was like to have toddlers running around the house. During those days of 4 little ones all under the age of 4, I remember there were times when I felt like the season of life I was in would never end...and now, I can barely remember what those days were like. It's not an expression...time TRULY does fly by!

Before we had kids, I focused on reading books abut being a godly wife. As my belly started to expand, I read books on taking care of a baby, scheduling, and feedings. When Micah was about 9 months old, we began to see what God's Word meant about how "from the womb we go astray".:) We knew we needed to be prepared. We knew we needed to address his sinful heart. We knew we couldn't fly by the seat of our pants. We needed wisdom...lots of it! We began reading godly books on parenting young children and older children. And, of course, my need to be a godly wife was just as great that I was so thankful for all the Christ-exalting books to keep reading on that subject has well!

You can get a degree in just about any subject you fancy...yet, the very occupations we (almost) all will hold...that of a spouse and parent...we often walk into without any "training" at all! It doesn't have to be that way! One thing I have learned (and I know that I still have much to learn!) is that there is always wisdom in preparing. Nothing is worse than being caught off guard or, better yet, realizing very far into a process that you were missing key ingredients! And, boy, does that apply to parenting and marriage! There is so much wonderful, godly advice to be read and listened to in the day and age we live in! So much wisdom to be gleaned before we get there ourselves. So much amazing armor to cloth ourselves in as we daily battle for the glory of God in our marriages, our parenting, and our personal lives!!!

Before I know it, the season of life God has Bryan and I in right now will give way to a nest full of birds getting ready to fly away. Our hearts cry is that, by God's grace, we lay a foundation NOW that will yield the sweet fruit of precious relationships with our children when they are adults. We know that we cannot produce the fruit, we know that, in God's sovereign plan, our desires and dreams for our kids may not be fulfilled exactly the way we pray...but we also know that we want to be faithful to toil with all His energy that He powerfully works in us (Colossians 1:29). And, in that pursuit, books like "You Never Stop Being A Parent" are just too much of a gift to pass up!

Comments

I was just thinking and praying about God keeping my heart renewed and faithful in teaching and loving my children. Time fly's by and I want to treasure the moments, but to see the treasure that God has made and that I would point my children to those very things. And not become lazy in my thinking, but to treasure Christ above all and that I would be the walking example of Christ love and faithfulness. It is only by God Grace and power that these things can happen.
O that I may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God. Colossians 4:12(ESV)

Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes! Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments. Psalm 119:5-6(ESV)

Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Psalm 119:33-36(ESV)

Grant me, I pray, according to the riches of your glory, that I may be strengthened with all power through your Spirit in my inner being, so that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith; and that being rooted and grounded in love, I may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and may know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, and be filled with a divine fullness, Ephesians 3:16-20(ESV) and may partake of a divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4(ESV)

And let the love of Christ control me to live not for myself, but for him who for my sake died and was raised. 2 Corinthians 5:14-15(ESV)
( Mattew Henerys Method of Prayer)