How quickly a forest is set on fire


A bolt of lightning at the base of Mt. Hood produced a fire that had smoke reaching over 11,000 feet high.

I couldn't help but think of James 3:5-6:

"So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell."


Pretty strong words, huh?! But I am sure we have all been on the receiving end and the giving end of words that burned, words that were not aptly spoken, words that did not give grace to the hearer but were more like sword thrusts, words that seemed so small and insignificant on the Richter scale of sin but produced thick, dark, billowing smoke.

I pray that I will not quickly forget the view of a smokey Mt. Hood...and that it would be a visual reminder of what my tongue can do.

May God help the words of David be our daily heart's cry, as well:

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14





Comments