A Decade of Delight


Today, Grace turned 10 years old. My memory is faded about many things, but I can still remember the night she was born. We kept watching the clock tick by at the hospital, and, when it finally got close to midnight, we hoped that she would wait a couple of extra minutes to be born (who does that?!) so she might have the sweet privilege of sharing her birthday with my dear Aunt Sharon. And she did!:)

Grace came into the world at 12:54 am on November 30. She weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long. She was a precious little bundle. I can still picture her when they handed her to me...a perfectly round face with the most beautiful red lips!

Though she was petite and as cute as a button, she had a set of lungs on her. At 3 weeks she developed colic and cried all the time for the next 3 months.:) It was not fun going through that stage of her life, but I think she got out a lifetime of "fussy" in those 3 months!:)

If you know Grace, you know that she is a sensitive, caring girl with the sweetest smile. She continues to love all things babies and is so excited that she is one year closer to babysitting. School has been a bit of an adjustment for her, this year, but it has matured her in many beautiful ways. She is no longer our little girl, she is our dear young lady. Our gracious gift from God!

Dear Grace,

Happy Birthday, sweet girl! It's hard to believe you are 10 years old! You have entered "Micah's world" of staying up till 8:30! Way to go!:)

This year, I have seen other growth in you besides just the days ticking by. You are maturing into a beautiful young lady...both outside and in. I know you don't particularly like how short you are compared to everyone else in your class. I know how you feel because that was me every year...all the way up to my senior year in high school! But Gracie girl...if anyone takes but a minute to look at your face, they know you are not a "little girl". And if they go a step farther and talk to you all doubts would be erased. You are far from little, and far from immature!:)

In fact, it's your words and your actions that define who you are, Grace, not your height. My prayer is that, though you may be small, God would use you to be a great example amongst your friends and in our family. An example of His love, His mercy, His grace. I pray that you would be known for your kindness, your words of encouragement, and your honesty. But, most of all, I pray that you would live out your name.

Grace means undeserved favor and kindness. My sweet girl, you, and all those whom God has saved, have been given immeasurable grace. We have received eternal life, the Holy Spirit, adoption into the family of God...when all we deserved was hell. I pray that you life would be marked with a deep love for Jesus and a graciousness toward those around you, whether they seem to "deserve it" or not.

I am so thankful for the gift of grace given to our family by your life! I look forward, with joy, to the years of mothering I still have with you and to the blossoming friendship that will continue to grow with each passing year!

I love you!

Mom

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kristin, I just wanted to say that I really love your birthday letters to your kids.

Not only are they precious, but they let us (who don't live by you) have a glimpse of your children's character and it always warms my heart!

I hope all is well with you! Take care.

Lori
Grace ... you've entered Micah's world? 8:30? Yeah!!! Yes, you are a most precious gift to us from God ... and we are so thankful for you!
Grace...you are a precious gift from God to our family and we are so thankful for you!
Yay!! Happy Birthday,Grace! Wow!--- a two-digit age! ;0)
HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, GRACE!!! We miss you! Wishing you and your family all the best, always.

Much love,
Brook & family