Dying


Ready for another "did you know" science lesson? :)

I don't know what the scenery looks like around your house...but the trees are just beautiful here in Surrey. No matter where I go, there are beautiful yellows, reds, oranges, and combinations of all three!

What is amazing to me is that all the beauty we see is actually because the leaf is "dying". The tree stops making food in the fall and the chlorophyll (what makes the leaf green) goes away. Let that sink in for a minute...the reason for the breathtaking colors is a result of the death of the leaves.

Could that be a more vivid picture for us, as believers, of what the result is when we "die to self"? When we humble ourselves by dying (taking up the cross) to our desires, wants, dreams, and plans... and following in our Saviour's footsteps, trusting in His plan. Living a truly vibrant life that can only come from being crucified in Christ.

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

As we daily "present (our) bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God" we, too, can be a beautiful display for the watching world (both those INSIDE and outside of our home!). We can shine forth the amazing "light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ"! Our lives...our words, actions, facial expressions, body language...can "proclaim the excellencies of Him who called (us) out of darkness into His marvelous light."

But we have to die first.

Comments

Kristin, you just make me want to put this computer down and go dig into my Bible!

What a beautiful, encouraging post---and a cool connection between the "dying" leaf with its beauty (by the way, it's like that over here right now as well. AWESOME!!), and our death to self/ living for Christ.

thank you! :0)