A Birthday Gift From God!


Today our daughter Faith turned 9 years old! There was much about this day that she already knew about or had planned in advance. Here is an example of her planning:

Yesterday she asked me, "Mom are you going to decorate the house for my birthday after I go to bed or are you going to send me to my room sometime on my birthday so you can decorate?" :) That was my dear daughter giving me a not so subtle hint that she wanted decorations! She also gave her brothers and sister a not so subtle hint when she, point blank, asked them yesterday when they were going to make her birthday card!!!:) If you know Faith at all, you know that sounds just like her!
But there was also something that none of us could have planned and that only God could give....SNOW! My heart woke up praising the Lord when I saw that the snow that had started to fall the night before was still there...all 3 inches of it!

The kids had a fun morning playing in and with the snow and we had an interesting experience at the movies in the afternoon!:) We thought it would be fun, in honor of Faith's birthday, to take everyone (including Uncle Paul and his girlfriend Sarah that came to visit!) to our little downtown movie theater to see "The Muppets". We bought our $3.50 movie tickets (gotta love buying in bulk!) and sat down for the show. Half way through the movie (which is shaping up to be a real winner!!) the screen went blank... I guess the reel of film didn't "reel" so well and the rest is history. The blessing: we left the theater with two free tickets per person. And, being on the tight budget that we are right now, that seemed like a pretty good deal in the end!:) I guess we'll be heading back to Clova Cinemas for "round two" this week. We have to know what happens to the muppets!:)

We ended the evening with a very special meal of steak (thanks to some friends who gave us part of a cow!) and a very fun birthday cake. My sister-in-law made this Rainbow Birthday Cake for my niece a couple of years ago and I knew that it was the perfect cake for Faith and her bright personality!


Dear Faith,

One phrase pops into my head immediately when I think about you. You are "full of life and live life to the fullest". Whatever you set your mind to do, you do it with flare! I think of all the pictures I have of you (even when you were a toddler) trying on clothes, hats, sunglasses, bracelets, purses...you always have a pose for each one....an arm in the air, you head tilted to the side, with a twinkle of mischief on your face.

You are a character! And you love to play the part of other characters. Just last week I heard an "English accent" coming from the back of the Suburban and, sure enough, it was you!:) Your love for "Anne of Green Gables" has put many "dramatic" moments and sayings into your head and, therefore, into our home. And your love for reading has given you a vast knowledge of words through which you create the most amazing sentences. I can easily forget that I am talking to a 3rd grader! Of course, there are times that your use of words creates some very hysterical speech...and we all get to laugh...not at you, but with you. The Bible says that "a joyful heart is good medicine". You are very good medicine in the Pichura home my sweet, funny Faith!

Faith, many people say that you and I are alike, not just in the way we look but the way we act. I think they might be right.:) But that also means that we have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. Our struggle with sin might be along the same lines. As a result, I am thankful to know how better to shepherd you, pray for you, and encourage you.

We can both be pretty selfish. We have desires that we want accomplished and can lose sight of others as we seek to accomplish them. And, we can also lose sight of loving and serving Jesus above all. When we do that, we sin against Jesus and hurt those around us. BUT, when we "walk by the Spirit" it can be a beautiful thing, too! When we put all our passion and desires into loving Jesus, it overflows into loving others and focusing on serving others. The joy that Jesus puts in our hearts and the excitement for life that comes from Him is a very contagious gift that we can spread to those around us!

Love Bug, I pray that you would walk by your name...that you would walk by faith in Jesus Christ all the days of your life. Hebrews says that faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Every day of your life you are taking one step after another and you will never fully know what that next step looks like until after you have taken it. Why? Because God's ways are not our ways. Your daddy and I have learned that well over the last 9 years of your life and even before that. Sometimes it can be scary not knowing what God is doing. But, it's only scary if you don't walk by faith. Because, if you are walking in faith (which is a gift from God) then you have hope. Hope in Who God is, hope in that He always keeps His promises, hope in that He never lies and always does what is best for you. And God says that that hope will NEVER disappoint you because He has poured His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit. God loves you. You never have anything to be afraid of...ever!

I pray that you will put your faith in Him...because you will find that He is FAITHful...so very faithful!

Your Daddy and I love you so very much. We are so thankful that God entrusted you to us. We look forward with excitement this year at the plans God has for you and the laughter that will fill our home because you are in it!

All my love,
Mom

Comments

OH that is soooo Faith. Laughter, ideas, funny comments, and dramatic. I just know that someday you will be the lead in a school play! And ... you'll do a wonderful job at it!!! We love you Faith and trust you had a wonderful day celebrating you! Our love and thoughts were with you.
Kimiko said…
Happy birthday, Faith! It was so fun to Skype with you yesterday!!! We all love you very much and can't wait to see you this summer!

Love,
Uncle James, Aunt Kimiko, and Hannah

P.S. From reading what your mom wrote about you, it sounds like you and Hannah are A LOT alike, too! :)
Michelle P said…
Love you Faithy and are so happy we get to have you as our neice! You are a blessing to us in so many ways!
And Kristin- the cake looks great!