Ordinary


Ordinary....I think that is how most of us moms would describe our days and the hours that fill up our days. Tim Challies shared a great article last week about "ordinary sermons". Last year I listened to a great message by CJ Mahaney about "ordinary pastors". Almost every week I read about, hear about, or think about how to glorify God in the midst of the ordinary of everyday life: dishes, laundry, school, dinners.

And, sometimes, I find myself wishing for more. What that "more" might look like, I truly have no idea...but I can point out people who seem to have it!:)

"He must increase, but I must decrease". Seems to me, John the Baptist had it right. He didn't crave for more. In fact, he wanted less. He desired ordinary so that Jesus could be seen for Who He is...extraordinary!

"We have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." 2 Corinthians 4:7

A jar of clay was as ordinary as a jar comes in those days. It was all about what was put into the jar that made it of any value. Jesus is the beauty that shines in the ordinary.

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-11


Paul is exhorting us to be content with weaknesses and to boast in the ordinary...because, in doing so, we are putting the power of God on display in our lives. When we live "ordinary lives", what stands out is not our exceptional speaking ability, our beautiful home, our winsome personality, or our culinary expertise. What stands out is God's grace in the midst of our sin, God's peace in the midst of a painful trial, God's hope when the future looks dark, God's joy instead of complaint at the unfair, and God's faithfulness when others have failed.

This year, may we boast in the ordinary so that we may exalt the God Who is extraordinary!

Comments