Search and Inquire Carefully


I am studying 1 Peter and have been so blessed by the beautiful truths about our salvation, suffering, and the hope that we have in Christ! I am so thankful that His Word is living and active...that it pierces my heart!

1 Peter 1:10-12:

"Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look."


This is a passage that pierced my heart and brought conviction. Prophets searched and inquired carefully over the Words of God as they yearned for, looked for, and sought to understand the salvation of God, through faith, in the promised coming of the Messiah. Their ministry would find it's fulfillment in the cross.

They saw in part, yet we see, in many ways, the full glorious picture of God's redeeming work in the Bible! And that is where the conviction comes in. How often do I take for granted the "Words of Life"? How often do I forsake meditating, studying, and searching carefully in His Word because my life is consumed with the things that are temporal?

Maybe this is a bit bold to say, but I can't help but wondering if some of our apathy comes from not having a good grasp of Who God is...not knowing Him as we ought...and what we don't know we often don't get excited about.

The prophets looked forward with anticipation, recognizing that much of what they proclaimed would be fulfilled after their death...truths that even the angels desired to look into. They served us in their careful study.

The cry of my heart is to have the same mindset...to love God with all my heart and, as a result, to love His Word and study it carefully. And through that love and that study, I might serve others as I encourage them with the Word!

Comments