You have the words of eternal life


There came a time when many of those who "followed" Jesus turned back. Jesus asked the 12 if they wanted to go away, as well. Peter's response in John 6:68-69 is just beautiful:

"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know, that You are the Holy One of God."

It reminds me of the words of David in Psalm 73:25:

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."


There are times my heart echoes the words of Peter and David...but there are also times that my heart forgets and desires my own desires, my own plan, my own words. And then I go after those things and wonder why I get discouraged, frustrated, and sad.

How many times have I committed the two evils that God was appalled and shocked by when the Israelites committed them:

"...they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water." Jeremiah 2:13

Nothing satisfies apart from Jesus. Only in His presence is there fullness of joy. Only in Him does hope not disappoint. He alone has the Words of eternal life, the Words that do not return void, the Words that pierce to the core of my heart. Only in Him is my soul revived by living water!

There have been many verses...many words of eternal life...that have revived our hearts, filled us with joy, comforted our sadness, and given us hope. Thought they might encourage you, too:

"Who has spoken and it came to pass unless the Lord has commanded it?" Lam. 3:37

"The Lord will fight for you, you have only to be silent." Exodus 14:14

"It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Lam. 3:26

"For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light do we see light." Psalm 36:9

"The Lord is my portion, says my soul. Therefore I will hope in Him." Lam 3:24


And then there are whole chapters and books that have renewed and strengthened our hearts and minds:

Jonah
Acts 14
Philippians
1 Peter


Praise the Lord that no matter where He may take any of us (in a physical sense), our hearts and minds never have to wonder where to go....the answer will always be the same every time...straight into the arms of Jesus!

Comments